1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard and mouse frozen at boot; unable to logon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobcat250, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcat250

bobcat250 Thread Starter

HI all;

This is my very first ever post to this forum, so please bear with me.... :eek:

My Dell Optiplex GX620 pc (Win XP SP3, 4gb RAM, 128GB SSD, integrated video and sound) after working just fine for the past 5 years suddenly decided to stop recognizing my USB keyboard and mouse. Thinking that possibly they may have gone south, I switched both components but got the same results.

To make a long story short, here's what I've attempted:

1. Swapped both keyboard and mouse
    2. Reset the BIOS to factory default
    3. Removed then replaced the CMOS battery to bring the unit to hard reset
    4. Booted from XP CD and attempted to run the recovery console, but keyboard stopped functioning when the XP setup, blue DOS screen appeared with the three choices ("enter" for install, "r" for recovery console and "f3" for exit)
    5. Removed and tested each memory DIMM individualy, in the Dell, to make sure it may not be a RAM problem.
    As you may have noticed, above, the keyboard works fine during POST and in the BIOS, but not once any other DOS or GUI appears. At the XP logon screen, I cannot operate either the keyboard or the mouse... :(

Doing a search on this forum, I did find a similar issue posted by Nick77777 back in June of 2010. But, in his case the mouse functioned properly; keyboard only was frozen. The problem occured after he had run some software, which is not the case here; this pc worked fine, but then was not used for about a month, if that means anything.

In my instance, both are frozen so the PC is technically useless. As the pc does not have any PS/2 ports, I could not try an older style keyboard.

Any assistance with this would be helpful. Unfortunately, due to the unusability of both input devices, I cannot run any diagnostic software to generate a report.

Your help is greatly apperciated... ;)

Dan

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Good luck.
    I was helping another person with a Dell in August or September with the same issue. As soon as windows loads, the keyboard and mouse no longer work. We never did get it working.

Just to rule out a window problem, I had him boot a linux live CD/DVD. The keyboard and mouse did not work in linux either.

If you know how to burn an ISO, download linux, burn it to a CD or DVD depending on the size, fire it up and see if the keyboard and mouse work.

This test
    leads me to believe that the issue will persist in linux.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1139149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice