1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard and mouse not working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by geordiewench, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geordiewench

geordiewench Thread Starter

I need to reinstall vista after pc crashed after installing sp1. Keyboard lights up when i power on but then nothing. Its plugged in right after looking on the net i removed battery from motherboard and got msg saying ps/2 not connected but it is. I only need to press 1 button to reintall vista and its driving me mad haha any ideas please i have tried other keyboards.

2. joeten

joeten

Hi what type of keyboard is it ps\2 or usb

3. geordiewench

hi its ps/2 i have tried quite a few things different keyboards, unplugging cd/dvd drive dissconnecting hd and reconnecting, removing battery bla bla bla!!! all i need is to press 1 button or click the mouse to get computer running, keyboard just not responding tried other keyboards n mouse all i get is start up screen so cant even install drivers again for the key board which i downloaded and saved on laptop. Driving me insane lol

4. Jessica-chen

Jessica-chen

IF you can boot into "Safe Mode", do the following: 1)While in "Safe Mode" run your antivirus program and make sure you have no virus(es). 2)While in "Safe Mode", run "ScanDisk" to check for errors on drive. Assuming the above presents no problem: 3)go to device manager and check to see if there are any "question marks or exclamation marks" (etc.) that maybe presents a problem under entry "keyboard" and "mouse". I'll explain the following just in case you didn't know: Windows Millenium Edition attempts to provide you with "generic" drivers. Their attempt is made to at least get you up and running thereby allowing you to at least access your computer. Sometimes these "generic" drivers work well and sometimes they don't - but as I repeat, at least you have some access - you may be up a creek without them. A suggestion is to, always install the original "driver" that came with a particulr product as it is intended to directly conform with operating system(s) in which it should specify. At this point and in this order, I would remove the entry/driver UNDER "Keyboard" in Device Manager - Just merely LEFT click on the + sign beside "Keyboard" and RIGHT click on the entry/driver then LEFT click "REMOVE". Do the same with regard to your "Mouse" - thus removing your Mouse/DRIVER as well. Then RESTART your computer and let windows reinstall the drivers. IF your keyboard and mouse still doesn't work properly at this point, return back to device manager and install the drivers that came with your keyboard and mouse. You should install the original driver that came with your product anyway. If you don't know how, post back. REMEMBER: Close all running programs on toolbar BEFORE installing software/driver. When using "CTR + ALT + DEL" method, close all EXCEPT "Explorer and Systray".

5. antech

antech Banned

Seems the ports are not working now....
    How old is the mobo?
    and what are the system specs?

6. geordiewench

no jessica cant even get into safe mode without keyboard, driving me mad lol. its an hp pavillion a6102 abt 3 yrs old, thanks for replies much appreciated

7. antech

antech Banned

Please answer my question....!

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the model number of that HP Pavilion?

If you don't know what it is, advise what the product number on the sticker is.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard, replace it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. geordiewench

hi its an hp pavillion a6102.uk desktop i have replaced the battery and antec what specs do u mean i have the books to get them but not sure wot u need thnx

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and software site for your HP Pavilion a6102.uk desktop.

Here is the system specs site for it.

Here is the site for doing a Windows Vista recovery.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

11. geordiewench

hi i have recovery disks and have contacted hp, cant run the disks as keyboard not responding, as i say all i need to do is press 1 button haha soooo annoying

12. antech

antech Banned

I guessed that the PS/2 ports seem NOT to be working now.
    Tried combination of Different Keyboards and Mouse?

13. geordiewench

yea tried just about everything, just sent a complaint to windows as it was their bloody update that broke it in the first place!!! just bought new cmos batt and installed and still nothin. gues im just gonna have to send it off for repair. ready to give up now

14. antech

antech Banned

Tried combination of Keyboards And mouse?
    How old is the mobo?

15. geordiewench

3yrs old, i have taken out the hd can i connect it to another comp or laptop and reinstall the keyboard and mouse somehow?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice