1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard and mouse stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Travis_av, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Travis_av

Travis_av Thread Starter

My dad's computer has come under attack by virus's and trojan worms

Not really sure what all started this..

Tired several different programs to fix it..things were going good then BAM.

Went into bios and keyboard works but after that point no keyboard or mouse.

any suggestions?

thanks

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

Suggest you post a HiJackThis log in the Malware forum here.

Once you're free of malware, if the probem still exists, post back in this thread.

Good Luck!

p.s. You can get HiJackThis here

3. Travis_av

Travis_av Thread Starter

How can i do all this with no keyboard or mouse controll after it boots up?

4. Claymore

Claymore

Geez - silly me!

Are these a USB keyboard & mouse?
    Do they work in Safe Mode?

5. Travis_av

Travis_av Thread Starter

na its fine... yeah they were

we then tried a regular hard wire mouse and nothing

now in bios the keyboard works..but after that your screwed...

When the count down begines on the Scan disk thing when you hit any button to abort and continue windows startup it just keeps counting down

Thankssss

6. Claymore

Claymore

If you could get to Safe Mode even with the keyboard alone, I would suggest you go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard and mouse drivers and restart - a lot of twiddling with the keyboard - e.g. Windows key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc and Enter.

If you can't even get to this, my only suggestion is a Repair Install. Others may have a simpler solution.

7. Travis_av

Travis_av Thread Starter

Yeah nothing in safe mode

Safe mode acts like it will work but hangs on a certain line of junk..

So it just stops.

also i had the same problem as another poster...control panel was gone!! and kept saying something about administrator privleges..

fun fun

8. Claymore

Claymore

If you're seeing a black screen with a stream of files loading and then it just stops and hangs, you probably have a driver failing to load - possibly your keyboard and/or mouse driver.
    I think it's down to a Repair Install.

Repair Windows XP

Performing a repair allows you to try and fix your existing installation of Windows XP. The main advantage of doing this is that you do not have to reinstall any applications, restore any data, or reconfigure your personalized settings. The basic steps for performing a repair are as follows:

Boot your computer using the Windows XP CD.
    When prompted press Enter to install Windows XP.
    After pressing F8 to accept the End-Use License Agreement, setup should detect your existing Windows installation.
    Press R to begin the recovery process.
    Setup will copy the necessary files to your hard drive and then reboot.
    Do not press any key to boot from the CD-ROM this time. Instead let setup continue.
    After the repair is complete, be sure to reinstall the latest service packs and updates since they will have been removed during the repair process.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice