1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard causing computer to act strange

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pallomine, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pallomine

Pallomine Thread Starter

Hello,

My Dell tower (unsure of the model number, please let me know what info I can give to narrow this down) has worked just fine for the past couple of years but just recently, after no changes in routine, began to type sporadic strings of text and use all kinds of shortcuts that cause new browsers to open, cause source codes to show, "press" the enter key, and other similar effects.

The text comes most commonly in the form of the string "*.369-". When I removed my dell usb keyboard, the effects stopped. The on screen keyboard works fine. When I replaced the keyboard with another usb keyboard, the issue happened again. I tried this with all of the usb ports on my computer as well as testing all of them with my mouse, which is acting correctly. The mouse worked in every port, but the issue appeared no matter what port either usb keyboard was plugged into. I have uninstalled/reinstalled and updated my keyboard drivers three times now and nothing changes. Nobody on any other forum I have found seems to know what to do, and Dell tech support was unhelpful.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, and does anyone have any clue how to get this taken care of?

Thank you in advance.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Can you find the Service Tag of your PC ? It may be on a label on the case or in the Bios.
    Or type this into a CMD window and press enter :-
    Code:
    wmic bios get serialnumber
    With the service tag we can tell you what driver to get to try to fix the Usb problem.

Another option is if your PC has a PS/2 keyboard socket you could try using a USB female to PS/2 male adapter, or a PS/2 keyboard. Not a cure but a possible workaround.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice