1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard controler???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turbo24, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbo24

turbo24 Thread Starter

I have had intermittent issues with my mouse and my keyboard. They occur at various boot ups, sometimes frequently and sometimes I can go long periods with out problems. For example, the last week I have been able to boot with out trouble but today when i booted I pressed the switch, and powered it up and almost immediately it (something inside my machine but i do not know what) began a quick clicking sound (something akin to the sound you would get if you ran a stick along the spokes of a bicycle wheel while it was spinning) and the boot process stopped before POST. What i mean is that i got no post beep, but my led light of the front stayed lit just as if it were really working on the process. Once the light went out i pressed restart, and got myself into the BIOS setup. I went to view the event log and the only thing it had logged in "pre boot error; keyboard controller not functioning" and then "pre boot error; keyboard not functioning" These two items were listed repeatedly.
    This is not the first time i have seen that either. Every time i have gone into bios and viewed the event log, these things have been present, but they do not include the stupid times or days when logged so i do not know if they are old or new or what.
    I have tried MULTIPLE different keyboards and mice and it will always eventually occur, but somehow i think the "controller" is not fixable that way.
    Any guidance?

2. Firah

Firah

turbo24,

That sound likely indicates a HDD going bad. Download the diagnostic utility from the HDD manufacturer and run it.

Could it be a wire touching the CPU fan?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice