Keyboard Delay

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cokids

I am running Windows XP; just reinstalled Windows (after an infection with a Trojan Horse of some kind) and all was well until I allowed downloads of Windows updates. Installed a batch of updates and now, whenever I type an email message or anything else on the screen (except this...seems fine here); I get lags of about 5 seconds. I type and nothing happens, then the text snaps into place a few seconds later. Sometimes the screen refreshes. No error messages...but the change has been the update of Windows. Wonder if that has installed something that has caused my problem. Clicking seems to be problematic as well with lags.

I also installed Spyware Doctor and PC Tools Anti-Virus yesterday. Seemed not to have caused problems until today. I'm thinking of doing a system restore hoping to by-pass whatever is causing the problem, but I don't want to by-pass my spyware and anti-virus software. Any thoughts?

Beth:confused:

Open Task Manager and see if your CPU is running at 100%, that could be the reason for the "delay"

The processes tab (click on CPU in that window) will show what process is using the most CPU time. In a normal system it should be "System Idle Process"

cokids

Thanks for the quick reply!! Appreciated!! Where do I find the Task Manager? I looked in the Control Panel, but didnt' find there....am i forgetting something and ready to feel really stupid?
Beth

Ctrl - Alt - Del all at once brings it up.

Also right click on any empty part of the task bar and selecting Task Manager brings it up.

cokids

System idle process is at 91...the typing delay seems to have disappeared....hmmmmm....who knows.....
Beth

cokids

Is it a good idea to update Windows as new updates are available? I was told once that if all is well, best to leave things alone. Is that correct or is this bad advice? It's really too late as I've already run updates. Oh well...

Beth

cokids

system idle process number is falling (61); losing ground to bdss.exec; what's bdss.exec?

bicycle bill

Banned
I will stick my neck out and say this. I don't believe this is a serious problem because i have encountered it with XP and 98 maybe three times in the last six years. Have no idea as to why this happens. Thank goodness it does not hang around for an extended period of time. At least it hasn't in my case.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online