1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard doesn't work when installing XP ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marmaris, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marmaris

marmaris Thread Starter

Hi
    I bought a HP Compaq D530 SFF PC fro Ebay..There was no operating system on it..
    so i want to install windows on my new pc. When I boot the XP disc, I get a blue screen, with some things loading at the bottom.

When it comes time to "Press enter to insall windows, Press R to repair or Press F3 to skip installation" my keyboard doesn't work, and I can't press enter.

What's going on here, what can I do? it seems like my keyboard doesnt work anymore (by the way, the keyboard and monitor was not part of the pc that i bought and it is not a USB keyboard)

thanks for your time and help

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I have had a few problems with factory PC's and aftermarket
    keyboards and mice.
    They seem to be detected backwards.
    Try swicthing the keyboard to the mouse connector and the
    mouse to the keyboard connector.
    Power down first.

3. marmaris

marmaris Thread Starter

leroys1000

thanks a lot for your advice..but unfortunatelly switching the keyboard to the mouse connector also didn't work..

any other idea ? has anybody else experienced similiar problems ?

please help

thanks

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Try another keyboard.

5. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

I think this is the D530 Small Form Factor computer in question.....if so, it's not that outdated and came with XP HOme or PRO

It is considered a business type so support is different....

Drivers are certainly available, but it is difficult to see why a keyboard would not be automatically usable when XP is all installed.

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11632_div/11632_div.HTML

At near the bottom of that page, there is a part that shows how to interpret the ID information which will show you the exact hardware inside....

Where it has HP Compaq Business Desktop d530

Model Key and Example

Look at the back or underside for a label that has a long string of letters etc like that....

If you find it, compare to how it explains what your computer has.

The keyboard issue is probably that you have a USB keyboard or have reversed the mouse and keyboard in the PS/2 ports....those are the usually green for mouse and purple for keyboard....but, it IS easy sometimes to get them backwards....

Try ANOTHER keyboard, use a USB type if there are no PS/2 (round colored green or purple) ports.

The Recovery sets might still be obtainable from either HP support, or an online store...

That might be the absolute best way to go with this for you! Its almost easy.....

Far easier than plodding around downloading drivers to disks and installing that way, and updating everything etc.

The usual cost is about $28 for the set of Recovery disks or one DVD....that restores everything that the computer shipped with when it was brand new.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice