1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jazztrumpet, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jazztrumpet

jazztrumpet Thread Starter

Hey Guys!! This is my first post, so we'll see how it goes.
    So, here's the problem: I used the registry backup program on my computer to reverse some changes I had made to my system. Now, the keyboard doesn't work. It works when Windows boots (when Windows says "Press F8 for advanced startup options) but it doesn't work after that. Because of this, I can't login to Windows. Does anybody know what the problem is? By the way, my computer is a Compaq Armada E500 running Windows 2000 Professional.

2. Sponsor

3. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

System restore or go to the device manager and
    reinstall the keyboard drivers. To reinstall kybrd
    drivers:

click start > control panel > system [or performance and maintenance then system] > the hardware tab > device manager button > double click on the keyboard driver > go to the driver tab > click uninstall button > hit OK yadda yadda then restart the computer. may need another restart but may fix problem.

4. jazztrumpet

Gateway Tech-
    Thanks for the reply! I was reading over my post, and I realized I wasn't specific enough. When my computer boots up, it gets me to a screen that says "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to begin." The problem is that since my keyboard doesn't work, pressing ctrl-alt-del doesn't do anything. So I can't logon to Windows, access my desktop, files, etc. Does anybody know what to do about this? (Also, my touchpad mouse on my laptop doesn't work either. Just wondering if that's related or not)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know nothing about the specific problems, but try "Press F8 for advanced startup options" and see if you can get into Safe Mode and use the touch pad/keyboard there. Or maybe you can boot from CD.

Assuming you're talking about a laptop's keyboard, try borrowing someone's keyboard and/or mouse to see if that works. A complication here is that newer laptops generally lack PS/2 port, requiring USB keyboard/mouse or PS/2 to USB adaptor.

6. jazztrumpet

TerryNet-
    Thanks for the response! Yeah, I've tried Safe Mode, and I've tried the Last Known Good Configuration option, and nothing seems to work. I've also tried to use a separate keyboard, and I still have the same problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!