1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard doing weird stuff after water spill

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SEnergy, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SEnergy

SEnergy Thread Starter

Yesterday, at ~8PM I opened a bottle of mineral water, unfortunately for me it burst and spilled all over my laptop. As I had no idea what to do I just stood there for like 5 seconds, then I realized I should disconnect the plug. After that I tried to dry it using towel and paper towels. Because I had no idea what else to do I just decided to give myself a treat and just go to sleep early, so I left the laptop there as it is (in normal position)

The next morning (roughly 8 hours after the spill) I decided to try whether it is working or not, well, it's quite hot in my room so the water should be gone now, the water spilled on the ground did disappear as I was too lazy to swab it (lol)...

well, the laptop is working just fine so far, except the keyboard is typing weird stuff

Q - q`1a
    A - qa
    D - 'd
    F - vf

etc, not all keys are doing this, most of them are working just fine...

what should I do now? I know I can use the external keyboard, but is there a way to fix this? I have Asus G750JM and somewhere I read that the newer laptops have some feature that prevents the water from going to the laptop HW from the keyboard, not sure if mine has something like that but as I said, it works just fine except for the keyboard

I also tried to dry it some more today using paper towels, turn it facing down on the paper towel to see whether there still was some water (nope, the water towels were dry), I also decided just to clean it from dust using canned air, well, my laptop is now clean and stuff but the keyboard is doing the same thing... is it over now and I have to pay for a new keyboard or is there still a way to fix this?

thanks!

2. peneriche

peneriche

Check the language settings for your keyboard. And let it dry for at least 24 hours before you turn it back on. If your keyboard is in fact ruined then I hope for your sake it's still on warranty.

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Its NOT the language settings. It's a physical hardware issue, as in this case a damaged keyboard.

You will need to replace the internal keyboard either yourself or bad a reputable shop.

If you want to do yourself refer to your manual for instructions on R&R'ing the keyboard.

The keyboard itself can most likely be purchased off eBay to save you some cash. If you don't likecebay there's several online parts stores that would most likely have one cheaper than getting from manufacturer.

As for a spill in the laptop....when it happens, in this case on the keyboard, IMMEDIATELY TURN THE LAPTOP UOSIDE DOWN. THEN PLACE THE LAPTOP 1-2" DEEP IN A PILE OF PLAIN WHITE RICE, for about 4-6 hours.

The rice acts as an absorbing agent and pulls any liquid outta the computer.

You are VERY lucky that it still works

4. SEnergy

SEnergy Thread Starter

it's been few hours since I posted this and well, my keyboard is working just fine now, I didnt even turn the PC off, just in the morning (as stated above) I turned it upside down on a paper towel, no water came out so I was just using it with external keyboard, it was doing weird stuff with some keys but now it looks like it's working just fine, I'm typing this reply using normal laptop keyboard without any issues whatsoever... I guess there was some little water in the keyboard and it actually has some feature that prevents water from going into laptop and it dried out while using the laptop

whatever it was it is now working just fine and I am never ever gonna open anything with bubbles near laptop :D

5. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Indeed :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice