1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard dont work and I forgot Password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CrystalPC, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CrystalPC

CrystalPC Thread Starter

HI, How do I get it to boot in cd mode so I can do a password reset if my keyboard does not work on my login screen? Does anyone know of a easy site to make a password finder or reset disc? Help plz

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    From the forum rules:

Please do not ask for assistance with (or ways to bypass) a forgotten or unknown password, personal identification number (PIN) or any other type of access code that may be required on a computer, mobile device or web site.
    As there is no way to verify the actual situation or intent, no assistance will be provided.

------------------------------------------------------------

In order to boot from a Windows disc, you first need to go into the BIOS setup screen and set the CD/DVD drive first in the boot order.

------------------------------------------------------------

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

How did you sign in at the login screen when you could remember your password if your keyboard does not work? Your question does not quite add up.

4. CrystalPC

CrystalPC Thread Starter

sorry this is my first post about pcs. I didnt think a password reset disk was against the rules. But thats the only way i can even get into my own computer. since my kb dont work. I mainly want my keyboard to work on my login screen so i can at least try to access my pc. The thing is I cant login with my kb even if I tried and I lost my password...thats the point. SO I cant get into the bois either with the fkeys. My mouse only works. I think the pc had a virus in it a long time ago since its just been siting around not being used. I tried to lug it in to the back of the desktop and it didnt work. Is there a way to get a on screen keyboard on the Login screen?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In answer to one of your questions: How Do I Create a Windows Password Reset Disk?.

With Windows 7 there are several mouse-accessible options on the login screen, one of which is the on-screen keyboard. Not sure if XP has that.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Important:
    You must create a Windows password reset disk BEFORE you forget your password.
    If you've already forgotten your password and you have not yet created a password reset disk, you'll need to find another way to get back into Windows.

Unless I'm missing something in what you're saying and what you're trying to do, you definitely have a problem.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

As already sated, we cannot help you to circumvent the password at login and I still can't figure out how you ever logged in if the keyboard doesn't work, or did the keyboard fail at exactly the same time you forgot your password?

There are methods to bring up the keyboard on-screen but you need to either use shortcut keys on a working keyboard to activate it (Winkey + U) or make a registry edit to bring it up on boot so neither of those methods are of any use to you.

The only thing I can help with is the keyboard, when did it fail to work at sign in, before or after you forgot your password?

Have you tried another keyboard, is this a laptop or desktop PC?

Either way, if you can't remember the password your only real solution is to format and reinstall the OS.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice