1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard driver problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DarrenW, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

ok folks, i upgraded to XP Pro at home (over top of Win98SE) and it was working great until i ran the cleanup manager and re-booted my machine. at the log-on password prompt my keyboard is dead. I suspect corrupted XP driver. The keyboard works in Recovery Console, but freezes my machine as soon as i touch it in the GUI. SO, i cannot log-on. Recovery Console doesn't seem to offer any options to get me back in and the LastKnownGoodConfiguration didn't work, nor can i log into safe mode. What now?

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

From the recovery console, you can go to C:\Winnt\system32\dllcache. There should be a backup copy of the keyboard drivers here. Copy them back to c:\winnt\system32 and also place a copy into c:\winnt\system.

(or C:\Windows\*, depends on how XP was installed)

Hope this helps.

3. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

well, it could've helped but i corrupted my boot record and was unable to repair it. i eneded up formatting the partition and doing a clean install of XP rather than an upgrade over top of Win98. Oh well, everything but the damn registry was recoverable so it looks like i'll be busy re-installing programs this weekend. The really crappy thing was i had a Ghost image of my win98 but couldn't restore it because i changed the file system to NTFS from FAT32. At any rate i think the clean install of XP will work better.
    Thanks for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice