1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard freezes - but mouse still works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BradzDad, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradzDad

BradzDad Thread Starter

My PC has Windows XP Home. A month or two ago, my keyboard began to freeze up. This would happen at random times. All of a sudden, I would be typing away and nothing would appear on the screen. I noticed that the Num Lock and Caps Lock lights became turned off and would not turn back on when I hit the associated keys. With all of this, the mouse still functioned normally. I could open up (or close) any Office program like Word or Excel and use the drop down menus. Also, I could surf the Internet. But I couldn't type anything. The only way I could recover from this situation is to do a hot boot or shut down and power back on. I did use my anti-virus programs (SpyBot and Pest Patrol) to get rid of some bad stuff on my PC but the keyboard freezes keep on occurring.
    Does anyone have a solution to eliminate this annoying event?

2. Craig321

Craig321

When it freezes instead of rebooting try unppl and re-plug in the keyboard.
    Also, you could always get a new keyboard - + install and download the latest drivers.

3. justme-

justme-

Sounds like a bad keyboard, unless you have a special keyboard with volume controls or 1 touch pushbutton for internet type stuff there is no driver do download. keyboard drivers are hardware not software, the software stuff is only for the extra features.
    It could also be a bad keyboard cable but the solution is still a new keybord- be careful when you plug it in the plugs on the MOBO sometimes break connections if they are abused.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/308544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice