1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Frozen during boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marlaw123, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marlaw123

marlaw123 Thread Starter

I have a problem. I have a USB keyboard that came with my Dell Dimension that is about 3 years old. When I start my computer and am trying to press f8 to change the boot order, it doesn't do anything even though the lights on my keyboard are lit up. This also happens when I shut down my computer without clicking shut down, and it comes up saying "Do you want to start windows normally" in which case I have to sit there for 20 seconds since I can't use my keyboard to select it. I have already tried trying a different keyboard but the same thing happens.

I hope I am clear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SAMF2000

SAMF2000

You could try using another USB Port. is the usb connected to the pc or is it on an external powered USB Hub.? the reason I ask is Hubs can cause problems if too many devices are attached and no extra power is used to power the extra ports. If the ketboard lights up its getting power but the settings in bios could be messed up too. then you need to tell bios to use US Keyboard.

3. lozzman

lozzman

Device manager?
    Enable USB stuff at startup?
    I dont know if in your bios it has that option but mine does ( foxconn =) )

4. marlaw123

marlaw123 Thread Starter

Thank you very much! I unpluged my keyboard from the USB hub into the computer's built in USB port and it fixed my problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/888084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice