1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard gone nuts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pantsdavies, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pantsdavies

pantsdavies Thread Starter

hey people, was hoping you could help a newbie?

not sure if this is a virus problem , software or hardware problem

im running XP sp2 with norton internet sercurity 2005, and try to keep my computer clean as possible using various programs, but something strange has happened

my brother gave me a disc called (most amazing disc in the world) I know I should have checked the disc for virus's but I didnt as my brother had used it, anyway i noticed that the numlock, capslock and scroll lock lights on the keyboard started flashing together everytime I moved the mouse, odd I thought then I realised that the computer was acting as if shift key was being held in, but it wasnt,,then as if the ctrl key was being held in, but it wasnt!!:confused:
    I changed the keyboard but still the same,,ran norton and it found 6 virus on my pc from the disc, bugger I thought so i formatted my computer and installed Xp again

all has been well for 5 weeks until it has just started happening again, about 5 mins after the 3 lights started flashing, norton detected a virus and said it had deleted it

anyhow the shift,alt,ctrl buttons are playing up again, I cant type until the keyboard decides to let me

I have searched the world trying to fix this problem but to no avail until I took my computer to work one of the fellas to have a look, after a few hours of deleting keyboard drivers, searching google and search logs etc, we stumbles across that if you unplug the ps2 mouse and use a USB mouse then all is well

I could format again but would really like to suss this out so I can solve the problem if it happens again, any advice would be great I could just continue using this USB mouse but I hate the thought that my computer isnt well and would like to know why

cheers
    regards
    Pants

2. valis

valis Moderator

Please do this:

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    · Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    · Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    · By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    · Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    · Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    · Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    · At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    · Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    · Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    · Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    · DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. pantsdavies

thanks for your replay, here is what you asked for

Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton

AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAudPropShortcut.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program

Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) -

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) -

http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D1C5A796-51C4-4C47-8144-167908ACEC15}: NameServer = 80.225.250.178 80.225.250.186
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor V4 (AdobeActiveFileMonitor4.0) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop

Elements 4.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec

Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec

Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec

Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec

Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet

Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec

Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec

Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp

Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe

4. valis

valis Moderator

need the running processes too. Basically just select and paste everyti8ng in the in the scan results pane in here.

5. pantsdavies

sorry hope this is right

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 02:03:02, on 08/01/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero MediaHome\NeroMediaHome.exe
    C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\newsLeecher.exe
    C:\Program Files\NewsLeecher\newsLeecher.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    F:\newsleecher\iso's\SmartCOP.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NSMdtr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAudPropShortcut.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D1C5A796-51C4-4C47-8144-167908ACEC15}: NameServer = 80.225.250.178 80.225.250.186
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor V4 (AdobeActiveFileMonitor4.0) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe

6. valis

valis Moderator

these guys your ISP?

Tiscali UK Limited

look fairly clean, but I am not a guru. We'll wait until one of them sees it and gets back to you. In the meantime, try a different keyboard if possible. Could be that this one is failing.

7. pantsdavies

Thanks anyhow, I have tried 3 keyboards, still the same
    very strange how heyboard is okay using USB mouse then goes bananas
    when I use a ps2 mouse, hope someone can help
    thanks again
    regards
    pantsdavies

8. valis

valis Moderator

wait a minute.....you've tried 3 keyboards in the port and gotten the same result? Is this a usb port or a ps/2 port? Starting to sound like an IRQ issue almolst.

9. pantsdavies

keyboard is a ps2, its working fine now im using a usb mouse though

sorry what is an IRQ issue almolst

regards

10. valis

valis Moderator

if its' working fine now, it was probably a bad connection.

IRQ's and you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRQ

if you are satisfied that this is fixed, you can mark the thread solved under thread tools at the upper right.

11. pantsdavies

no no, the keyboard works fine with usb mouse but if I unplug the USB mouse and plug
    the ps2 mouse in then the keyboard starts to play balls with me

sorry to confuse you
    regards
    Pants

12. valis

valis Moderator

plug the ps/2 mouse in then go to the device driver and see what is showing up under both mouse/pointer optoins and keyboard. There still may be an IRQ issue.

Also, make sure that you are NOT putting in the PS/2 stuff with the system on. Turn off, add the ps/2 stuff, turn on. Not precisely hot swappable. Can be, but dangerous.

13. pantsdavies

done that, not sure what im looking for but they both say device is working okay
    and under another tab it says there are no conflicts

would should I look for?

14. valis

valis Moderator

well, that's it.....if it says no conflicts, that means that the pc thinks everything is cool....dunno why you would be getting that with ps/2 and not usb....obviously my reco is to use the usb as frequently as possible.

15. pantsdavies

Thinking of reformatting and installing windows again this fixed it last time
    anyway thanks for you help, have to sleep now its 4am in the Uk .thanks again valis
    regards
    Pantsdavies

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice