1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Hangs System Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by directx9sux, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. directx9sux

directx9sux Thread Starter

Ok, I've searched the internet for 4 days now and haven't heard of anything like this..
    I know my video card doesn't officially support dx9, but my games run fine until I touch the keyboard to chat or use a txt key..
    (using quake3 for example)
    After installing the latest directx 9.0, and the newest video drivers for my Geforce4 ti 4200, my system will cripple if I hit any of the text keys to type a message in q3 arena. The fps used to average between 80-125 at 1600x1200 res, now they just spike from 10 to 125 WHENEVER the keyboard text keys are used! After about 10-12 seconds it clears up but during that time it makes the game completely unplayable! The arrow keys dont have the same effect and I only hit 1 key at a time to switch weapons, but if I hold down the (enter key for instance to switch to rocket launcher) the fps drop will occur. So I can play, but i cant talk, or check the scores, or anything that involves the keyboard. Also happens in Diablo II, Warcraft 3 and also during the directx tests in dxdiag.. the affect is over my entire machine!
    The strange thing is that Quake3's lag-o-meter used to stay perfectly consistent and now there are little yellow spikes at the top and yellow gaps in the green at the bottom, but the ping stays completely normal. (these abnormalities are very small when the keyboard is left alone, but they're still present)
    I'm not sure if it's the new directx, the drivers, or the keyboard I have.. but here's my setup:

Intel fedora Motherboard PIII 933mhz
    256 mem
    Nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 128 AGP
    Logitech optical wheelmouse
    Memorex mx2700 keyboard (also tried e-machines keboard)
    everything else stock from gateway except SBC enternet software and D-link card (for ADSL)

oh ya 1 thing ever since I got this new keyboard I noticed the num lock key had to be off or quake3 would "stutter" (I use number arrows for movement) This problem after directx9 and new Nvidia drivers feels like an amplified version of that old stuttering problem.. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Do the keyboards you are using require a driver for all the various extra multimedia buttons?

If so, have you tried removing the driver and just letting Windows use the default US keyboard setting?

Also, are they USB or PS/2 connector?

3. directx9sux

When i got the keyboard I didnt even install the drivers, I did notice that numlock would cause the game to lock up unlike my old keyboard but I didnt even install the drivers until I had this problem.. when I saw they did nothing, I uninstalled them and went back to basic drivers..
    I just found out it's completely relative to how much I type also..
    Just to tell a guy in q3 about this problem cause my fps to jerk and lock up for a full 2 and 1/2 minutes. ( I waited it out and sure enough it stablized)
    It's like the machine gets bogged down as if every letter I'm typing is being registered 100 times and has to be processed.
    Is it normal to be able to completely cripple a pentium 3 with keystrokes anyway?

Keyboard is in ps/2
    mouse is in usb

I've even tried a ps/2 connector on the mouse and moved it back to where the old mouse I got from gateway went..
    I can move the mouse around and press all the buttons in either position with no drop in fps. but 5 or 6 keypresses and it's a 10 second lockup.

4. directx9sux

posted earlier on this thread and got no help so I'm posting again with updated info..

Basically my keyboard is lagging my entire system when I use any keys except the arrows. It's completely un-noticeable while surfing or typing outside of games or CPU-intensive stuff. But while playing a game of any sort that uses my graphics card and trying to type a message I get a chop fest.
    The best way to describe it is to say the keyboard input is overloading my cpu for a few seconds (or minutes depending on how much was typed) until it is all processed. In CPU intensive games or graphic demos, it makes them un-watchable or playable until the lag clears.
    On quake3's lag-o-meter I've noticed that it reads as server side lag when i hold a key down and get the fest. It's not showing up as client side.. I think that means packet loss if I remember right, which would make sense if my system is bogged down and can't respond.

This also happened with the other two keyboards I tried plus it worked fine with this keyboard before I installed the new dx9 and nvidia drivers.. (which made all my games run a LOT smoother, but introduced this new problem)

I have tried everything involving drivers, bios, d3d tweaks, gl tweaks, numerous safe mode boots and experiments, all drivers, disabling EVERYTHING but systray and explorer( in msconfig also)
    all levels of hardware acceleration with reboot.. nothing helps. It doesn't get better or worse. Multiple key entries= few seconds lag no matter what I do. If I type a long sentence, the lag will persist for a LONG time. It's almost like one button got stuck from me hitting it once or the key was registered 50 times. I used to be able to HOLD down on the enter key on numpad with NO change in fps for an entire game! Now it cripples my system in a matter of seconds help!

My specs:

Intel fedora Motherboard PIII 933mhz
    256 mem
    Nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 128 AGP
    Logitech optical wheelmouse
    Memorex mx2700 keyboard (also tried e-machines keboard)
    everything else stock from gateway except SBC enternet software and D-link card (for ADSL)

My IrQs: (from sysinfo)

IRQ 3 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 1
    IRQ 3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

IRQ 10 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

Memory Address 0xFC900000-0xFE9FFFFF Intel(r) 82815 Processor to AGP Controller - 1131
    Memory Address 0xFC900000-0xFE9FFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

I/O Port 0x03F6-0x03F6 Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    I/O Port 0x03F6-0x03F6 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)

I/O Port 0x01F0-0x01F7 Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    I/O Port 0x01F0-0x01F7 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)

IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    IRQ 11 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
    IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

I/O Port 0xFFA0-0xFFAF Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    I/O Port 0xFFA0-0xFFAF Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)

IRQ 14 Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)

IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    IRQ 9 D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter
    IRQ 9 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 2
    IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

IRQ 15 Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

I/O Port 0x0376-0x0376 Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    I/O Port 0x0376-0x0376 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

I/O Port 0x0170-0x0177 Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    I/O Port 0x0170-0x0177 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

5. directx9sux

Oh yea, I'd like to post for the record that I know you can't hold down 5 keys at once and expect your system to behave normally... It's not that kind of a problem.. my whole system is kind of " shaky " at times... this keyboard thing is the only real way to bring the problem out into the open. Serioulsy trying to type a 3 word message while playing quake 3 will lag my fps for close to 20 seconds.
    I also noticed that I can type messages fine for about the first 20 seoconds of playing.. it's like theres a limit on how many keys I can input!

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi, I've merged your two threads.....it'll be easier if you keep replying to the same thread......

7. directx9sux

8. directx9sux

Is it entirely normal for my graphics card and the processor to agp controller to be using the exact same memory address?

I don't remember ever seeing those two right next to eachother last time i looked at sysinfo... maybe i missed it who knows.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice