1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Keyboard Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nsj, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nsj

nsj Thread Starter

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section for this sort of post.. I had a look through the different sections and couldn't really see any that seemed to fit my post, but as my laptop has windows 10 OS, I decided to put it here. If it's the wrong section I apologise, and feel free to move this post.

My issue isn't with Windows 10 itself though, it's with the keyboard. Earlier today I was watching a movie on my laptop.. I didn't spill anything on my laptop or do anything unusual to it, and at that time I was barely even using my keyboard. When I went to google something though, I noticed my keyboard was starting to spaz out. When I'd try to type a sentence, each word would be punctuated by random numbers that I wasn't even pressing. Not sure if specific examples help, but just in case.. Some notable issues with input at the moment are:
    - Whenever I type w, it is always preceded by a 2 ie. 2w2w2w
    - r is preceded by a 4
    - t is always followed by a 5
    - When I hit backspace, it deletes the previous character but also inserts a ]
    - Pressing the left arrow key inputs a /
    -Pressing the o key seems to trigger some sort of shortcut on word

So yeah, there are many other weird issues as well, but the main problem seems to be with the top row of letters in particular.

The end result though is that when I try to type anything, it pretty much looks like a pile of trash and my laptop is currently unusable. I've had to log onto my desktop to actually post here, because it would have looked ridiculous if I typed on my laptop. This is kinda stressful as I don't have the money for another computer, and have essays and whatnot due.

The scariest part though: Usually when I have any issue with pretty much anything in life (technological or otherwise), I can just google it and find a solution. However, this doesn't seem the case here. While plenty of people have posted about keyboard issues around the net, no one seems to have the exact issue I'm currently experiencing, and none of the solutions seem to work.

If anyone knows a way to fix it, that would be amazing!

Things I've already tried:
    - Cleaning the keyboard, drying it off (although it wasn't even wet or dirty to begin with)
    - Toggling num lock on and off, trying fn+shift+num lk, and pretty much any num lock combination you can think of.
    - Rebooting the laptop (several times)
    - Different keystrokes/combinations that were suggested online (obviously none of them worked)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. What is the make and full model of the computer please
    2. It has all the indications of a faulty keyboard
    3. Go to Control panel - ease of access centre - use on screen keyboard
    4. Go to device manager expand keyboard entry.
    right click click properties
    click driver tab
    uninstall driver
    reboot
    and when it has reinstalled
    test
    5. Connect external keyboard usb presuming it does not have old ps2 keyboard connection.
    if that works
    it is as I said more than likely the keyboard

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello, and welcome to TSG!!

Temporarily, you could connect an external keyboard via a USB connector.

4. Macboatmaster

Yes, but it has already been covered

5. nsj

nsj Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
    I ended up taking my computer to a repair centre, just to see if they could identify what the problem was. The guy there was able to identify the source of the problem, something I didn't mention in my original post as I didn't realise it was relevant - my laptop's cracked screen. Given that my computer is a touch screen, the crack I inflicted on it a couple of weeks ago has started to affect its functionality, sadly it looks like I'm going to need to pay to get it fixed :( Was hoping to avoid that but oh well.

For now the problem seems to have randomly vanished, but I'm sure it'll resurface again. So for now I'm using my laptop without issue but I'm kinda holding my breath, and I'm going to start saving now so I can get it fixed.

Anyway thanks again

6. Macboatmaster

mark it solved please by clicking mark solved button on the post

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice