1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by libelle, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. libelle

libelle Thread Starter

I am having trouble with my mother's keyboard. There are no beeps, it just doesn't type. It only does this when logged in as one particular user on my computer. If I switch users, the keyboard works just fine.

The last thing she remembers changing before the keyboard quit working was the cursor speed. She is not sure what else she did. She rembers being prompted to accept something, but she has no idea what and she did accept it. Any suggestions? This is an XP system.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

Easiest solution might be to run System Restore and restore the system back to a date just before it quit working. (This can be undone if it doesn't work)
    Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools -> System Restore

HTH

Jerry

3. libelle

libelle Thread Starter

I tried that it didn't help.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Unfortunately you have told us only slightly more than nothing so the only thing I can suggest is go into Control panel, Users and create a new Admin and then delete the old user.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

One last thing to try is to replace the keyboard settings in the registry with the settings from an account that works.

Copy and paste the following into Notepad, save the file onto the desktop as kbread.bat (Be sure to change Save as Type: from Text Document to All Files in Notepad's Save dialog), then double click the file.
    You can also paste each line one at a time into the run box (Start | Run)

Code:
    REG EXPORT "HKCU\Control Panel\Accessibility" C:\key1.reg
    REG EXPORT "HKCU\Control Panel\Keyboard" C:\key2.reg
    REG EXPORT "HKCU\Keyboard Layout" C:\key3.reg

Next, copy and paste the following into Notepad.
    Code:
    REG IMPORT C:\key1.reg
    REG IMPORT C:\key2.reg
    REG IMPORT C:\key3.reg

Save this file as kbfix.bat in the Root of the C: drive (i.e. C:\kbfix.bat)
    Now log into that account. Double click My Computer, then double click the C: drive, then double click the kbfix.bat file (you might not see the .bat extension depending on your settings)
    That will import the settings that were saved from the working account.
    Test the keyboard. You may have to log out then log back in for the change to take affect.

Once it's working, don't forget to delete the kbfix.bat file, and the 3 key?.bat files, and the kbread.bat file if you saved it.

If this doesn't fix it, probably easiest to just create a new account and copy over the files and folders that you want to save as Rich-M has suggested. Don't use the Copy Profile tool as that will copy settings as well as files and will likely copy the problem to the new account.

HTH

Jerry

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice