Keyboard issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

barma

Can anyone help me with my keyboard?

I think it's a PS/2 issue, but don't think the port's dead. Every time I boot up into windows I have to go to device manager where there's an exclamation mark by the keyboard software - I unistall it, and then add new hardware, which is a bit of a hassle each time.

Also, not sure if this is related, but sometimes when I install programmes/ run scandisc, a blue screen comes up with something like 'USB bugcode error'. My USB devices seem to work fine though, and it's a PS/2 keyboard.

Thanks

barma

Also, I've tried using another PS/2 keyboard which did the same, so I don't think it's the keyboard that's faulty.

It sound like a motherboard problem how old is your computer, and what hardware changes have been made to it?

barma

It's pretty new, and the problem's been there since the start. My friend put it together for me, but he's not sure what to do. I think if I got a USB one it'd be fine, but was just wondering if it could be solved without that.

Once it installs the adds the keyboard after I initially uninstall it, it works fine. It says I'll need to restart, but it works ok without doing that. Plus if I restart I get the same problem.

barma

I had a faulty motherboard that did other stuff wrong as well as the keyboard thing, which I sent back and got a replacement - this one works ok, but the keyboard thing is still there.

My friend did think it was motherboard, but he reckoned the chances of getting a faulty one twice in a row was unlikely, specially as the other stuff that was wrong with the first one were okay with the new one.

you never know, the motherboard that you have right now might be the origional one just repaired. what exactly is the make and model of the motherboard? have you trried to go to the manufacuturer website and get the origional driver package for the mobo?

barma

Yeah, was a bit suspicious - but the box and packaging was all brand new with the replacement one. It's a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard.

Erm... I think we tried updating the BIOS drivers from Gigabyte's website with the first one we had, but that didn't change the problem. Not tried with this one yet - could get my friend to do it for me though.

I have found the result to your problem. I had the same issue with the Gigagbyte K8N Ultra-SLI and I was about ready to return the motherboard (5th trip to my computer dealer) when I discovered on a website a review of a similar board and someone mentioning the same problem.

The fix is to disable USB Mouse Support in BIOS. :D There is a conflict with IRQs or something and by disabling the USB Mouse support you release something that allows the keyboard to load properly. For some reason, a USB mouse will still work if you are worried about that.

Hope this works for you!

barma

Thanks very much for that - that was exactly the problem. Sorted now - thank you!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online