1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard keys sometimes don't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sebreens, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sebreens

sebreens Thread Starter

It is weird, but I don't know how to go about troubleshooting this. For about a week already, when I turn on my computer, 'space', 'e' and '3' doesn't work for a while. I didn't find this too troublesome as it did start working after a couple hits or just after a little time, but now it sometimes just doesn't work at all. Sometimes a restart helps, sometimes it doesn't.

What might be the issue? I have an ASUS K501U laptop. Could it be the connecting wire?

Best regards,
    sebreens

2. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

If it's only a few keys, it's not likely a wire issue. When is the last time you cleaned the keyboard?

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I've had dirt/dust cause problems in the past.
    A shot from a can of compressed air fixed it for me.

4. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Yes, but first turn the laptop upside down and gently shake and tap the underside to loosen particles caught between the keys. You might be surprised at what comes out!

Johnny b likes this.
  5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Be sure to turn it off first LOL!

8biosdrive likes this.
  6. sebreens

sebreens Thread Starter

The keyboard is sort of integrated, check the pictures of the laptop model. I am not sure whether any compressed air will help. Also the button press physically doesn't feel anyhow wrong.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Does the onscreen keyboard work when the laptop one doesn't for space, e, and 3?

Connect a USB or bluetooth keyboard. If you don't have one, ask a friend to borrow one. Does the USB/bluetooth keyboard work?

This might be the US replacement keyboard for your laptop
    https://www.laptopkeyboard.com/keyboards/asus/k-series/k501-chiclet/

A frame fits over the keyboard.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  8. sebreens

sebreens Thread Starter

Yeah, the onscreen keyboard works. I'll try to get my hands on a usb keyboard, but not sure how could that help, asides of having another keyboard :D

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Well if the onscreen works and a USB/bluetooth works, this tells us it is not a software issue because the keyboards work properly when Windows is running.
    You are then looking at a hardware problem.

You'd have several options:
    1. Use the onscreen keyboard or a USB/bluetooth keyboard when the laptop keyboard doesn't seem to be working
    2. Replace or get the keyboard replaced.

8biosdrive likes this.
  10. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

That's true for any laptop, but wouldn't prevent you from carefully turning it upside down and tapping the underside to see what falls out of the keyboard. Do you think it likely that food particles and other debris might have accumulated? If so, it's an easy attempt to solve the problem while you're looking for a usb keyboard to follow up on plodr's suggestion.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice