1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard locks up on boot-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zzed, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zzed

zzed Thread Starter

Ok, so here's my problem. There is a time in the boot-up process of Win2k (and probably all versions) where you'll notice your keyboard (and optical mice) will blink their lights. I assume this is when Windows is either loading drivers for them or refreshing it's device list. Either way, occasionally, the system I am working on will flash the lights and the keyboard will have it's NUM LOCK light stuck on. When this happens, there is a 100% chance that the keyboard will not function for that session. Sure enough, when the login box appears, no keys work. The mouse always works flawlessly. If the computer boots, flashes lights, and the NUM LOCK key is not on, the keyboard functions fine. Any thoughts on this? Here's the system description:

Asus P4S333 mobo
    P4 1900
    512 MB PC2700
    Promise FastTrack100 TX2 RAID card
    Dual WD 80GB HDs
    MS Internet Keyboard
    MS Optical Mouse
    Win2k SP2

This happens regularly on boot-up, but never within windows.

-=Zzed=-

2. Mike C UK

Mike C UK

Last time this imtermittent problem happened to me I had to replace the keyboard. Try plugging in another from a friend - if the problem replicates you may have a driver issue, but I would bet on it being a keyboard showing its on its way out. Can happen even with relatively new boards.

Mike

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is the keyboard connection secure......

Can you try another keyboard.......

4. zzed

zzed Thread Starter

I will try swapping keyboards, but I do know that this problem has been occuring since the system was built. Age may not be an issue, but "crappy keyboard" might :). I'd rather there be a problem with the keyboard than the mobo.

-=Zzed=-

5. zzed

zzed Thread Starter

Truthfully, I may have swapped keyboards a while ago, but I don't remember. If I swap keyboards, and the same thing occurs on the different keyboard, what next course of action might you recommend? I have already reloaded the MS Intellitype drivers several times.

-=Zzed=-

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Since the problem occurs before windows loads, it is definitely not a driver issue.......problem with the connector on the motherboard....sometimes they can be fixed.....but most often not.

7. Mike C UK

Mike C UK

Oops! No, can't be a driver issue. Aca's right - as usual!:(

(I'll say anything to stop you unregistering me, Aca!!!;):D

Mike

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/100036