1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard malfunction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MungoB, Jun 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MungoB

MungoB Thread Starter

My keyboard is acting strangely. A couple of the letter keys are malfunctioning. For example: both the ’e’ and ’r’ will skip when using my word processor. The ‘r’ will also change the paragraph writing alignment from justify to center or left. While in the web, the ’e’ will skip and then open up the ‘search’ window while the ‘r’ will skip and close the web page. This is all odd and very aggravating. I have also changed keyboards twice, and all contained the same problem. Any answers would be helpful. Thanks.

2. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

Interesting problem considering it does not seem to be the keyboard. As you may or may not know what you are describing are ctrl+ functions. Make sure you are using a keyboard that you are absolutly sure the ctrl(and the "E" and "R" buttons) button works on. If same problem then you know the problem is either hardware or software on the computer. In which case try reinstalling the keyboard driver. I don't know that it will do any good but it's worth a try.

[Edited by bcon76 on 06-03-2001 at 01:43 PM]

3. MungoB

MungoB Thread Starter

As I've mentioned, it's been the same with three keyboards so far.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does this only happen in your word processing? (By the way, what program are you using?)

5. MungoB

MungoB Thread Starter

Microsoft ‘Works’ 2000. Although, it seems to happen everywhere I can write. As I’ve mentioned,.. writing anywhere on the internet is half the problem.

6. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

If you boot to DOS do you still have the same problems with typing? If you do then it might be another program causing a conflict or a virus of some sort.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The control key, I believe is the culprit here....

Somewhere you have to have shortcut keys activated.....

Maybe this should be moved to software, where the wiser software people are.....as I don't believe it is a hardware problem.....

[Edited by AcaCandy on 06-03-2001 at 03:01 PM]

8. MungoB

MungoB Thread Starter

no one knows, huh? Thanks anyway. But man, it is aggravating!

9. brianF

brianF

Do you have any macro software running, I know gateway use to use anykey, it basically allowed mapping the keybord with macros to use keyboard shortcuts.
    I'm sure there are other versions running around.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/45281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice