1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Malfunction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robodoc, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

My new computer is having keyboard issues. When I leave the house for long periods of time I power down my terminal strip. When I return and power up and boot I have no keyboard. I then have to power down, unplug the keyboard, power up, power down, plug in the keyboard, power up, and then it's fine. I have a generic pc with an MSI K7N2 mobo, XP home, AMD Athlon XP2900 400FSB. The mouse was doing the same thing until I dumped the PS2 adapter and went in a USB port. Any thoughts. I'm getting ready to try another mobo. The keyboard is from my old Compaq Presario.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

why don't you try a real ps2 mouse?

3. erick295

erick295

It doesn't seem to me like there's actually anything wrong. It sounds like your motherboard has a quirk: when it loses power for a long time, its PS/2 ports won't recognize any devices until it's restarted. You might find a BIOS setting or something that would solve your problem, but my guess is that you're just going to have to put up with it. Computers are made to have power all the time, so sometimes strange behaviors will show up when the power is left off. If I were you, I'd just stop turning off the power strip.

Have you tried restarting it without unplugging the keyboard? You might find that the restart, not the unplugging, is what's solving the issue.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if this is an older mb, era w98/se, usb may not be all that reliable on some machines.

it sounds like you were using a serial mouse with a ps2 adapter, that's why i suggested trying a real ps2 mouse.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice