1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard/Mouse Freezes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by access, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. access

access Thread Starter

Dell Dimensions 3000 3 years old and have not had any issues until I uninstalled a few programs, anti spyware, degrag program, etc.. Uninstalled about 4 programs, rebooted and when I get to the log in screen for my password, keyboard and mouse freeze. Can't type password, tried safe mode, keyboard works until prompted for password.

Tried another wired kb/mouse same issue and tried a wireless kb/mouse, can't type password.

any help would be appreciated.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you are using a USB keyboard and/or mouse -- try switching to a PS2 one and see if you can get past that.

When choosing Safe Mode, choose the built-in Admin account rather than your normal account for a test which should be available -- if you never assigned a password for it -- then that should not be an issue.

3. access

access Thread Starter

PS2 didn't work. How do I get to the built in admin account.???

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The built-in Adminstrative account should be one of the choices you see when booting in Safe Mode. If you never created a password for it, you should be able to click on the icon to get in. It should be separate from your normal User Name account.

If you can boot to that, try creating a NEW user account with administrative rights and test that. Sounds like your old one is damaged.

Also, you can try a System Restore from the Admin account, if you can get there, and choose a date before the problems began.

Normally this doesn't repair User Profile related issues, but it's worth a shot.

5. access

access Thread Starter

Thanks I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice