1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard & Mouse Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dreamspinner3, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3 Thread Starter

I have a PC with a K6-2 400mhz CPU on a Biostar M5ALA motherboard with a ALi chipset, 128mb of RAM, 10.2 GB HD running Windows ME. Today I opened up the case & added 128mb more of RAM, made sure that worked, then added a new video-card. After I installed the new video-card, with the case still off, I tested it & everything worked okay.

So I unplugged everything, put the case back on, & hooked everything back up. I had trouble getting the keyboard to plug in, but it went it. I turned the system back on & found that both the keyboard & the mouse had stopped working.

I shut it down & removed both, found that the keyboard pins were bent. Mouse pins were fine. I had put the keyboard plug into the correct socket, too. So I went to the store & bought a new keyboard & mouse, brought them both home, installed them---and they didn't work. Again, I made sure that both the keyboard & the mouse were plugged into the correct sockets.

The mouse was a USB/serial port mouse, so I plugged it into a USB port instead--it worked. Under Device Manager, I could see the system registering a keyboard. No yellow exclamation points. Everything looked normal.

So I borrowed a working keyboard from my neighbor and tried it--nothing. So I used the Start-Up disk to boot into DOS & the keyboard still didn't work, nor did the mouse.

So I shut down, removed the new RAM I had installed, started it up again after taking the Start-Up disk out, and while it counted the memory, the HD made a strange ticking noise. The only other time I'd ever heard this clicking noise the system had locked-up & I tried hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL. Keyboard & mouse still didn't work. Last week we noticed the speakers on the system had stopped working too. Replacement speaks worked fine.

My neighbor thinks that:

-I shorted something out on the MB when I tried to plug the old keyboard with the bent pins in.

OR

-The power supply is going out.

I have removed the new RAM & the video-card & I am going to return them to the store. I think my MB is shot, although I was careful to make sure I wasn't carrying any static while working on the machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try? I could put the old video-card back into it. Right now I just have it sitting in the other room, unplugged.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

My guess is that you loosened the keyboard connector on the motherboard and it's no longer making the correct contact.

3. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Try removing and reinstalling the device drivers from device manager. Let plug and play find the devices and reload them. Sometimes you cant see a device in device manager while running in Real mode. Youll have to go into safe mode and view the device manager there. If you see any devices there like a keyboard or mouse then they were not fully removed and the pc is trying to use them. This is sometimes called a ghost device. Try that and let us know.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice