1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard?mouse working in reverse

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mterry, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mterry

mterry Thread Starter

i hit a button (or combination of them) and now when myy caps lock is on_i can only type lower case< with it off< i can only type upper> i can not type a period without getting a right bracket> if i click anywhere on my screen with the mouse< all text and images up to that point are selected>

if i use the back arrow< all text is selected from where the cursor was to whereever i move it to and i can not unselect the text or change the area selected except to make it bigger>

sorry for the lousy grammer< but my keyboard is messed up> how did i turn this on and more importantly how do i get it back to normal without having to reboot?

tia,
    Marge

Odd, whatever happened suddenly went away. But it has happened numerous times and I know it will again in the near future.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

sounds like one of the shift keys are stuck down
    If you mean this symbol > then look for a sticky shift key

3. mterry

mterry Thread Starter

I just cleaned out the keyboard, but I don;t think that was the problem. My husband runs across the same issue with the mouse selecting stuff and no way to stop the selection. I have never seeen the sticky key popup window until I went looking for it today.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

it wont come up with a sticky window - that usually only happens when you press a key quickly and repeatedly 5 times or more

the selection is an option in the mouse settings - what type of mouse ?
    if a laptop touch pad - then look at the settings for the selection ....

5. mterry

mterry Thread Starter

It's a wireless optical mouse...on a laptop. I have a mac that this happens to as well on occasion.

6. Chipzzz

Chipzzz

A friend of mine called Sunday with exactly that problem. Rebooting cured it but I don't know whether it has returned since we last spoke. I am suspicious of a virus.

7. mterry

mterry Thread Starter

Rebooting does seem to resolve the problem, but it comes back. This has been an ongoing issue for several months. Yesterday the problem went away on its own (?) after a couple minutes.

8. Chipzzz

Chipzzz

Have you checked in device manager to make sure you have no resource conflicts?

9. mterry

mterry Thread Starter

I'll have to check on that next time it happens. Though nothing is being attached/detached when it happens..I'll just be typing along and all of a sudden everything's hosed.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897701