Keyboard not functioning

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snandoor

Hi Guys,
I have this strange problem. When I type something on the keyboard none of the printable characters show up on the screen i.e. if I open up a word processor or an IE nothing I type shows up. But if I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete the windows security screen shows up as it is supposed to. The arrow keys also work fine. Also, the pc reboots every so often (no set interval), a blue screen comes up before the system reboots but it doesn't stay up long enough to read what it says. Could this be caused by a virus? If so, do you know any fixes? I'm using Windows 2000. Help is greatly appriciated.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. Probably a crazy question, but is the keyboard plugged into the correct port?

snandoor

Yeah, the keyboard is plugged in correctly. The arrows and special keys (ex - ctrl+alt+delete) work fine. Its just that the printable characters don't show up.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you boot to a dos prompt and see if the letters type there? Not sure how that works in 2K....you may need a boot disk.....Also can we test either this keyboard on another machine, or another keyboard on this machine?

snandoor

I tried other keyboards and I have the same problem. I installed a on-screen keyboard and had the same problem. I don't think it is a hardware problem. Could it have been caused by some programs like keystroke monitoring program?

Right click on my computer, choose properties, advanced, start up and recovery. Uncheck reboot on error. Hopefully you will now be able to read the blue screen. Post what it says.

snandoor

The reboot doesn't happen at a regular interval, sometimes it happens within the first 10 minutes sometimes it takes a couple of hrs. I'll post the message next time my machine reboots. I was wondering if this problem could be caused by a virus removel program I run periodically. If that program deleted a keystroke monitoring program will that cause the keys from being displayed? Do I have to reinstall the keyboard driver to fix this problem? When I look up the keyboard on the control panal, it says that the device is functioning correctly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online