Keyboard not functioning

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ace74ace

Keyboard not working on machine. Computer does recognize that it exists. number lock key is lit up but no other keys work. Keyboard is fine when i connect to another PC I Think I need new driver installed for a standard ps/2 keyboard because device manager tells me the driver is either corrupt or missing, I went to windows update but no luck, i tried to find the driver online but everywhere i go a scan program is for sale and i cant just get the basic driver without purchasing a program. Any suggestions?

try a system restore to when the keyboard was working....... windows has the drivers for your kb/mouse

ace74ace

no luck with that as only restore points showing are for todays date.. I just mirrored my drive onto a larger one today

ace74ace

i uninstalling keyboard then restarting but same thing happens when i restart

is this a usb keyboard? can u get another keyboard to see if the same thing happens

ace74ace

its a ps/2 keyboard...it happens to any keyboard i plug into ps/2...i dont have a USB keyboard at all

if u go to device mgr and click on update driver (k/b) and have it search your system or have windows update search for it....or even put in your windows disk and have it search that.............. or u could run a windows repair with your xp disk

ace74ace

none of these options have worked . I dont know if im doing something wrong but device manager will not find the driver on xp disk nor will windows update show that the pc even needs it . should I just format and start all over ....i noticed the keybord will work in DOS environment but not windows.

u could try a repair.....u will be asked to "hit any key" when your system boots from the xp cd
then u will know ....................

ace74ace

the problem is I have an OEM computer so i have only recovery disks not a acuall XP Disk...so Tell me how to boot up from disk, if you can? I do have a full version of XP but its not for this particular machine , can I use it to boot an OEM machine?

maybe u should save any music/photos/files on a external drive (u can do all this with just a functioning mouse) or slave drive (if u have one) and reformat with your recovery disks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online