Keyboard not working on Dell Inspiron 13 5368 2-in-1 laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

delluser786

For a few months now, the middle row of my keyboard has not been working (keys a-l). If I press hard enough, the keys will start to work, but that is after pressing for a few minutes on each key for a long time. After a few minutes, they will stop working again, and I have to repeat the process of pressing on the keys for a long time. I was wondering if this was a software or hardware related issue? The rest of the laptop works fine so I don't want to have to replace it, the problem is just in these keys which makes it really difficult to do any kind of work on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do?

If I were to purchase an external keyboard, would I still be able to use the built-in touchpad or would I have to buy a mouse to accompany the keyboard? I'm also assuming that if it is a software issue the external keyboard wouldn't work? Lastly, would any external keyboard be compatible with my laptop or is there only a specific one that would work with it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Fireflycph

Morten
Well, if it's a keyboard issue, just the keyboard - and it certainly sounds like it is - then getting an external keyboard would take care of that. And it'd not do anything to the touchpad. Obviously I can't tell what you're doing. But my experience is that when you use an external keyboard you also want to have an external mouse.

Lastly. Any "regular" USB keyboard should work with your laptop. Again, that's without knowing what h/w and s/w you have.

plodr

Liz
You can also keep the onscreen keyboard handy. Type osk in the search/run box and press enter.

Use the keys that don't work on the laptop by clicking the ones on the onscreen keyboard. (Handy if you don't want to carry a USB keyboard around with your laptop.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online