1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard not working properly, mouse just isn't working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ahjmartin, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahjmartin

ahjmartin Thread Starter

Before this round of trouble I discovered a problem with one of my graphics cards when they were in SLI with Blue screens and other nasty little things occuring when running Windows; I removed my secondary graphics card from the system to see if I could get a more stable OS, which I did.

I decided to test to see if the other graphics card running on it's own would lead to a stable system, however I was getting zeros on the VGA BIOS bootup screen and other problems before I even reached Windows Vista.

I did sucessfully boot into Vista and enter my password (using the keyboard) and move the mouse around, however once I had logged into my profile Vista began asking me if I wanted to install the drivers for the keyboard and mouse, I selected to update from the Internet and when Vista did not find any drivers for either device it disabled them.
    Eventually I got both the keyboard and mouse functioning again by reinstalling Intellipoint pro and the Logitech setpoint.

While using the second graphics card I noted some distortions such as zeros appearing on the VGA BIOS screen during boot up, so I decided to switch out the graphics cards again, again this caused Vista to forget about my keyboard and mouse, I am however able to get onto Vista a combination of a cheap usb mouse I had laying around and the Vista on screen keyboard.

The fix I used previously (reinstalling of Intellipoint and Setpoint) has not works,I have also attempted to manually install the drivers through device manager, everytime I do this with the keyboard I get a message saying that the driver cannot be installed because of "Access is Denied", I get the same message with reinstalling the mouse.

I have got the keyboard to work somehow, however it keeps asking me for a driver at startup and inside device manager the keyboard is listed as "Unknwon Device" that is ON the Natural Ergonomic keyboard, if I choose to update the driver or tell Vista not to tell me about the driver update the keyboard stops working and I am back to square one.

Short Version: I changed my primary graphics card and now the Vista drivers for my mouse and keyboard do not work while the same hardware does work under Ubuntu.

Any help will be apprieciated, Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!