1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Oil (?) - Need Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -zorph-, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. -zorph-

-zorph- Thread Starter

Ok, so I have a Razer Lycosa Mirror Special Edition keyboard : here

I love the keyboard, but one thing I have noticed the past few months that is really bothering me is some sort of residue or 'gunk' that forms on the keyboard.

First of all, the keys on the keyboard are all glossy in the first place, but I have noticed that after a couple days the keys get 'slimy' and there is some sort of residue that is clearly noticeable and you can feel it (which feels gross and uncomfortable) while you type.

Every single day I have to wipe it down with a moist lint-free electronic cleaning wipe. It generally takes 5 or so of them to clean the keyboard, and the next day I have to do this again.

This is very annoying because I go through TONS of the wipes.

I am wondering what this crap that forms on my keys is and how to prevent/remove it without having to wipe my keyboard every day, since it is such a major hassle.

Looking forward to your replies.

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Not to be rude but are you using your keyboard while your hands are dirty or while/shortly after eating?

3. srhoades

srhoades

The "crap" sounds like the oils that naturally are produced in the hands.

4. -zorph-

-zorph- Thread Starter

Nope, I always keep my hands clean and wash my hands after anything that I do that would make them dirty. Especially eating, which I don't do at the computer.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This gunk is the natural oils from your skin, combined with a little dust. How to prevent it? you can wear some nitrile gloves such as the gloves used in doctors offices.

6. -zorph-

-zorph- Thread Starter

Will this cause problems while typing, making it harder, etc.?

Also, if you could let me know where to get some or what kind to get since a simple gogle search yields many many different kinds.

Thanks in advance!

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would think the onl problem that might arise would be if you were using a touch pad mouse.

Any pharmacy will have the gloves, Riteaid, Walgreens, Walmart pharmacy, Kmart Pharmacy. You would want Latex Free if you are allergic to Latex (which is why I suggested nitrile)

8. -zorph-

-zorph- Thread Starter

Sweet thanks for the help,

Also a very dumb question I'm sure but I will ask it anyways:
    How long should I use the nitrile gloves on average before throwing away, like a week or a day or what?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice