1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard OK with BIOS but not elsewhere

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sigurd, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sigurd

Sigurd Thread Starter

Trying to reinstall Windows 7 on a SSD.
    MOBO - Gigabyte PA-G55-UD5, 4GB RAM
    SATA DVD drives and HDs. System drive a solid state drive. All recognised in BIOS.
    Initial install failed for some reason and now boot loops round "Initialising Windows for 1st use", Starting Windows, re-start.
    Now trying to reinstall from scratch. Booting allows me into BIOS and I can set drives as required (i.e. Kbd works). Boot up. get a "Loading system" message, then Boot from CD? but at this point Kbd won't work. Have tried 3 Kbds - wireless, USB and PS2 - all work with BIOS screeen but not beyond that point.
    Have tried both DVD drives, connecting to different SATA connectors, have disconnected all oher drives.
    I have come across this issue before with other PCs but using a PS2 Kbd worked and go me past this stumbling block. This time it won't.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you attempted to install on a ssd drive and that failed, I would do a secure erase of the ssd prior to attempting another install. Your drive maker may have a secure erase tool or I use parted magic for a number of disk tasks. SSDs are not the same as mech hard drives so doing a format does not fully erase or free up memory blocks.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

In any case, do the install with just the minimum devices connected ie just the ssd, video card, keyboard/mouse, single dvd drive. Pull the pw connectors from all other drives, disconnect any printer, scanner, etc. When done with the install, shutdown and connect your other drives.

3. Sigurd

Sigurd Thread Starter

Many thanks for the link to Parted Magic and the suggestions. I'll have to connect the SSD to another PC which fortunately I have.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No you do not. Download the iso and make the live boot disk using the system you are on now. Put the disk in your drive [problem machine] and restart. Enter the bios and set the optical or CD as the first boot device. Restart and linux will start. There is a complete tutorial on the ocz forum site regarding using this app. You might want to read through the post regrading using parted magic.

When you secure erase, make sure you select the correct drive [good idea to have only the ssd connected] The secure erase destroys ALL data on the disk and it cannot be undone.

5. Sigurd

Sigurd Thread Starter

Many thanks for solving my problem. While I don't understand exactly what was happening, it may be of some value to others explain what I found.
    The reason the keyboard would not respond was because although the BIOS was set to boot first from the CD and the PC should have booted from the Windows 7 install disk, it was still trying to access the SSD with the faulty OS. As a result it hung up.
    I don't understand why this still happened even when I set 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot disks all to the CD drive. If I disconnected the SSD then the error I got was "No operating system"!
    Yet when I booted from the Parted Magic CD it booted up without problems and once I had cleared the faulty OS on the SSD, the Windows 7 CD booted without problems.
    So out of curiosity, why wouldn't it boot from the Windows 7 CD but would from the Parted Magic one?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, glad it worked for you. As to your question, I do not have a definitive answer for you. My guess is that the bios on your mb may not fully support ssd type drives. Check the gigabyte site for any bios updates for your board that address ssd or booting issues.

If you do find an update, do not use the @bios to update the bios from within windows. Use Qflash and do the update from the bios menu.

BTW if you work on systems, the parted magic live disk will come in very useful.

7. Sigurd

Sigurd Thread Starter

Could well be lack of SSD support - I'll check and see out of interest, but on the principle that "if it works, don't fix it" I don't think I'll update the BIOS!

Parted Magic does look useful - I'll read up more about it.

And this forum has also proved very useful -now added to my Favourites!

Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice