1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard on laptop typing incorrect characters

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wyoburn, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wyoburn

wyoburn Thread Starter

I have an old Dell inspiron e1505 laptop. When the login screen appears I am unable to login because my keyboard is typing incorrect characters.

2. raybro

raybro

HI, and welcome to TSG...

You may have the Num lock on. Its located at the top-right of the keyboard above the F11 key. If it is on, there should be one of the four indicator lights illuminated to the left of the power button. The first on, actually.

Good luck..

3. Dell-Kris

Dell-Kris Dell Representative

Hi wyoburn,
    My name is Krishna and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Try pressing CTRL+U on the login screen so you can bring up the on screen Keyboard.
    If that doesn't help, boot into safe mode using F8 and login to the administrator account. In the Control Panel, go to Regional and Language Options and make sure the keyboard layout is English US.

Regards,
    Dell-Kris K

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061175