1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard on the fritz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grlgreen, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grlgreen

grlgreen Thread Starter

Hey. A couple of months ago, I bought a new computer. A Compaq actually. :p Not my first choice, but it's all that I was able to get. Everything has been running smoothly up to this point except for my keyboard. I am no longer able to use the following: Caps Lock key, CTRL key (left and right), Start key (left and right), or any of my quick access buttons at the top of the keyboard. I have removed and re-installed the keyboard driver thinking that it might work, but of course, it did not. If anyone would be able to enlighten me and tell me how to fix this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is as specific as I can get about the keyboard: Compaq PS2 Keyboard (2K-3). Whether or not that information helps...I'm not too sure.

Thank you for any and all help.

Missing her Dell,
    Anna

2. norton850

norton850

I see that you miss your Dell. You don't happen to have that old Keyboard around to plug in and see if you have the same problem?

The compaq keyboard -- is it programable? Meaning you can set certain keys to perform an action?

3. grlgreen

grlgreen Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I actually do have my old keyboard and that is what I have been using. I don't have any problems with the Dell keyboard. Even though I have this one to use, I still would like to understand what the problem with the other one is. As far as the Compaq keyboard being programmable... it is.

4. norton850

norton850

You can go into control panel under keyboard and see if there is anything related to the compaq that could be doing this. Most keyboards don't need any additional drivers, unless there is something special for the utility that allows you to configure the keys. If so you can check the HP/Compaq site to see if there is any info there or updated files.

It's certainly possible that there is something defective with the keyboard.

5. grlgreen

grlgreen Thread Starter

You know, I think that you're right about the keyboard being defective. This is just better backing my basis for disliking Compaqs.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Compaqs and HP's have keyboard drivers. I would try going to the compaq website and navigating to the updates section and see if there is a keyboard update for it. It is worth a shot. :)
    The reason for the drivers is to enable all the functions they put on the keyboards.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also, if its a new laptop and reinstalling the drivers/hotkey software does not work you can always call Compaq for support - if it happens that the keyboard itself has broken then should be able to tell you what steps to take.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice