1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard only outputs letter "z" , "/" and "\"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saeko08, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saeko08

Saeko08 Thread Starter

I was just playing Fortnite yesterday and all of a sudden, my character was stuck running and I can't Alt+Tab or see the light glow when I press the Capslock button. Therefore, I restarted my laptop assuming that it will fix the issue. But it did not. Some keys are not outputting anything, some are inputting the letters "z", "/" and "\". Like when I press the letters asd, it will output of "z\". I tried uninstalling my keyboard laptop in the Device Manager but it didn't help at all. Leading to a conclusion that it may be a software/hardware problem. Or a virus, but I scanned throughout my laptop and didn't find anything. I am using the on screen keyboard at the moment. Need help please

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Please provide as much detail about your computer as possible.
    Need to know the, Operating system Laptop brand, model number ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts It is recommended that you download and run the http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe and include the log produced in your post.

3. Saeko08

Saeko08 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8111 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (99 GB Free);
    Motherboard: FF50, 06F2
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

I am assuming by the mother board it is a TOSHIBA Satellite C55-C. What is the number after the C, Or what is the "Part number".Did it have any errors in the device manager for the keyboard? Have you tried an external keyboard?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  5. Saeko08

Saeko08 Thread Starter

I tried troubleshooting it but no errors were detected. Also, I have tried an external keyboard and it worked. I also noticed that when I press the Caps Lock in the external keyboard, both the external and internal keyboard Caps Lock light are glowing at the same time. But when I press the Caps lock in the internal, it won't glow/work. I'm sorry I can't see the number after the C or what is the Part Number since I'm at work. I will tell it to you once I get back home.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

The actual number for it to be able to look in up on Toshiba's website is called "part number" like PSCP6U-01401E or similar .

7. Saeko08

Saeko08 Thread Starter

The part number is PSKWNU-D6801R

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

Hmm, Toshiba's search is not the best, I had a hard time finding it but here is your support page https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=PSCP6U-01401E
    You keyboard could be a driver or a mechanical problem, anything spilled on it? (Satellite C55-C5268) May want to reinstall the system driver
    Here is a generic troubleshooting video , its for windows 7 & 8 but should be similar .
    I have heard of windows 10 updates installing the wrong drivers for GPUs and USB but haven't heard any about keyboard drivers but it is possible.

Here is a video for replacing the keyboard if needed

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice