1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard only works in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdc1, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdc1

cdc1 Thread Starter

HI,

My PS2 keyboard decided to stop working. Bought a new one and same problem.
    It will work fine in Safe Mode, or to move around in the BIOS. After fully booted to XP Home, I can hear a faint "beep" from inside the computer each time a key is pressed.
    And still no characters will come forth.

I am lost

Thanks

Chris

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you tried a USB keyboard?

3. cdc1

cdc1 Thread Starter

No, but get this. I just tried messing with it some more and it does work, just have to hold each key for about 2 seconds to get a character. Any Idea what the kids may have done to get this to happen?? I can type normal speed in Safe but am now very limited regular mode

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Why do you all of a sudden suspect the kids?
    For example, did it stop working after they downloaded or installed something new?

5. cdc1

cdc1 Thread Starter

the keyboard was working fine. started a game for the little one earlier and heard very busy fingers. pressing many keys simultaneously. when I next saw the machine the game was gone. perhaps something did d/l that was not noticed. I did run adaware and removed all items found.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Might try:

1. Uninstalling the game and rebooting
    or
    2. Run MSCONFIG / Startup tab, and see if there is anything there that looks like it is related to either the game or keyboard starting automatically. If so, uncheck it and reboot.

7. cdc1

cdc1 Thread Starter

Wow. now I know I am really green. Think that is the first time I just went in and did a system restore to 24 hrs ago. It worked.

Thanks for all of your quick attention.

Chris

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice