1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard power/ boot problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheStag, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheStag

TheStag Thread Starter

Hey there,

I recently acquired an old desktop from a friend of mine and proceeded to take it apart.
    After removing all the components from the casing and putting the RAM, GPU and HDD back (left the cpu in), and connecting it to power, it would pass the POST and boot into the BIOS. The problem is that no power is being supplied to the keyboard (I even tried the native USB ports) and it wont accept any input from the keyboard. I cannot enter the boot menu or setup menu due to this lack of input. Is it not loading the drivers for the keyboard? Or is it a power failure and the motherboard is now useless (I doubt the latter is true). Your help is appreciated :) .

Specs
    -------------
    Dell Inspiron 530 package
    Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 2.2 GHz
    3GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 667MHz
    Nvidia 8300 Gpu
    Foxconn G33M02
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB HDD

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you test it to see if it worked before taking it apart?

Exactly what does it do when you turn it on?

Does the mother board have a built-in speaker for POST beep codes or any kind of LED status lights?

3. TheStag

TheStag Thread Starter

Yes it did work before hand. After the POST it beeps once and there is a yellow/orange led indicator light as soon as the power is connected to the motherboard. after turning it on it shows a black screen with the DELL logo and in the corner "F12 = Options " and "F2 Setup"

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. TheStag

TheStag Thread Starter

The problem is that it is not powering the keyboard or accepting any input from mouse or keyboard. It won't even boot the OS (Windows Vista Home Premium). It only gets as far as the DELL logo (and stays there).

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If it has a PS/2 keyboard connector try to get hold of a PS/2 keyboard and see if it works.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice