1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Problem With XP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BML, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

Something wierd has happened. When I try to put XP into "stand by" mode it gives me an error saying that there is a problem with the driver for the standard 101-102 button keyboard that is not allowing it to go into standby. All the other keys work.

I've restarted the system, and went into My Computer-->properties-->Devices-->keyboard to "update driver but it says no update is available.

I should mention that I've had XP installed for 2 weeks and it always worked fine - until today. I was installing some fonts. Now it wont go into standby. The keyboard is the standard one that came with the computer. It's a HP "one-touch" but like I said it worked for 2 weeks. Something got corrupted!

what do I do?

2. BML

BML Thread Starter

Ok, now it's getting wierd. When I click "start"-->"turn off computer"-->"standby", it tells me that error message I mentioned. But my keyboard has a "standby" key on it which always used to put it into the same standby mode even with XP. Well, now when I pushed the button, the computer RE-STARTED!!!

So, I downloaded a new driver from HP for their mm keyboards, installed it, and it has not helped. i cannot put it into standby, only restart. And, many times when I do re-start, as soon as everything loads up it gives me a windows error saying about a "mini-dump".

Any ideas?

3. BML

BML Thread Starter

Hmmm...I guess I've stumped the experts with my problem! :rolleyes: :D

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. BML

BML Thread Starter

Well, i just solved the problem! And I love XP! The "standby" stopped working after I had installed something..forgot which application. I was about to do a fresh install of XP when I discovered about the SYSTEM RESTORE!

I ran it and tried to restore from a point 2 weeks ago and it went thru the motions and did not complete. Hmmmm....and ideas? So I kept picking a different restore point from the little calendar and I picked last Thursday, did the restore, and now my STANDBY is back again!!!!!!

Wow! System Restore is great! Not to mention the whole XP architecture (sp?) where I don't get those crashes where my whole system locks up and I have to pull the plug from the wall to get it back like I had to with win98.

Any ideas why Restore wouldn't restore from more than last week?

6. Ace4me

Ace4me

Its interesting to read about your adventures with Standby and your keyboard. I got my Compaq about 1 1/2 years ago and it came with Win98 and a Standby (or sleep) button on the keyboard. Tried it a couple of times and couldn't get the darn thing to wake up again, so I never really used it.

I've now upgraded to a clean install of XP Home. Maybe I'll give it a try again. Hopefully I won't have the same result as you ;-)

John A

7. Ace4me

Ace4me

Well waddaya know - the 'standy' button on my Compaq keyboard works now. Cool. John A

8. Dan O

Dan O

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing the news news. I don't why the Restore wouldn't work from more than last week. But it good to hear it works some times. If I run across any info on it I will pass it along.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice