1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard problems, and problems with Motherboard/BIOS. Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nate7410, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nate7410

Nate7410 Thread Starter

Well, today when I came home, my wife told me the computer (computer A) kept crashing today, and now it says there is no keyboard present and it won't boot up. I confirmed this.. it said keyboard error or no keyboard present. It was a USB keyboard. I tested that keyboard with this, our other computer, and it worked with this computer. I tried all 5 USB ports on Computer A, with no luck. The lights on the keyboard would not come on.

I went out and bought a keyboard with a PS/2 plug. The lights on this keyboard do light up. Now, the computer comes to the screen where it asks me to choose between Safe Mode and starting Windows normally, but it won't let me choose, or even press Enter. If I wait until it defaults to "Start Windows normally," it attempts to boot Windows but I get a blue screen saying that the BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant.

It gives me this STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I put in the Windows XP Professional recovery disk and rebooted, and now it gives me the option "Press any key to boot from CD" but again, the keyboard does not seem to work.

The motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI. I'm going to call the company that built the computer tomorrow and talk to their tech support. But I hate waiting, so I was hoping someone here might be able to at least tell me what is wrong with my computer.

If you need any other information in order to help me, just ask. I'm more computer literate than the average person, but not a pro.

Thanks, I hope you can help me.

2. Iceman82

Iceman82

Hmm i've seen this ACPI not compliant blue screen more than a few times and often a BIOS update will fix the problem.

Its not really an easy problem to fix and if your computer is under warranty i would let the company who built it, fix it.

3. Nate7410

Nate7410 Thread Starter

Update... I tried turning off the power switch on the back of the computer and unplugging it, then plugging it in again and turning on the power switch, and then booting it up again.. and for some reason, it now works fine. All the USB ports are functional, and I did not get the blue screen again.

What does it all mean? Do I need to do anything further?

4. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

No, just stick with the ps/ 2 keyboard

I had the same problem with a USB keyboard

intalled a ps/2 and all works fine now

:rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/728722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice