1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard problems - letter skipping

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by k-lynne, Jan 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k-lynne

k-lynne Thread Starter

I have a GenuineIntel Pentium and using Windows 98. I have a continuous problem with skipping letters and spaces. I used a new keyboad - same problem. After reading the posting of 10/99, I reinstalled the keyboard driver and the problem was corrected for about 1 hour!! Help!
    his iswhat th entences lok ike when I don't fix them! It takes a ong tie to wite thi wa!

2. Prismjohn

Prismjohn

I notice you say that it is ok for about an hour. Is there a program that you are using that is triggering this event?

Reload the drivers again until you are sure all is ok and working then open - use - and close each application in turn until the problem repeats itself, once you have identified the program (if indeed this is the cause) then repeat the process but open the programs in a different order (you will need to note the order that you opened the programs in).
    This is going to be a long process but hopefully it may help you find the cause.

3. k-lynne

k-lynne Thread Starter

Thank you for your nice reply. This only seems to be happening when I am online..so now what?
    Thanks, Lynne

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Prismjohn:
    I notice you say that it is ok for about an hour. Is there a program that you are using that is triggering this event?

Reload the drivers again until you are sure all is ok and working then open - use - and close each application in turn until the problem repeats itself, once you have identified the program (if indeed this is the cause) then repeat the process but open the programs in a different order (you will need to note the order that you opened the programs in).
    This is going to be a long process but hopefully it may help you find the cause.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4. k-lynne

k-lynne Thread Starter

I am still having the same problems, but seesm to only happen online. Could it be my browser? I am using netscape. Would downloading a newer version be a good idea?

5. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

There was a recent post concerning a computer droping the letter x and the solution was that a program had been downloaded and when the user was prompted to regester the program, it was declined. The errors went away after the program was deleted. This was also found to be a problem for another poster in the same string. Just a thought, did you load any programs just within about 1 month before this problem arose. Not all people who create small programs cand do so without creating other errors.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

k-lynne, your idea of downloading an updated browser is a good one. I would also try deleting and re-creating your dial-up connection.

7. k-lynne

k-lynne Thread Starter

Paul, I did download a program called PassLogix v-go, a universal password program. I bypassed it tonight and don't seem to be having a keyboard probelm, so you may have something here. i am going to uninstall it. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Nagel:
    There was a recent post concerning a computer droping the letter x and the solution was that a program had been downloaded and when the user was prompted to regester the program, it was declined. The errors went away after the program was deleted. This was also found to be a problem for another poster in the same string. Just a thought, did you load any programs just within about 1 month before this problem arose. Not all people who create small programs cand do so without creating other errors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

8. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I thought that it was an unusual situation the first time i read it in a previous post, but 2 people reported similar problems. Downloading an updated browser is a good idea also, especially IE5.01 as it has a repair option in case something goes wrong. Please keep us posted as to weither the solution actually worked over a perion of time. I am especially curious about these types of problems.

9. Ted Bieri

Ted Bieri

--------------------------------------------------
    I just found this old post but it describes perfectly the prblem I am having as you can see from this message there are letters missing but only on line. I'm running XP sp2 any one had this happen?

10. aimeelou

aimeelou

Yes, I too am having the same problems with my keyboard. However, I'm also having problems when I type in MS Word as well. Looking back, I think this problem coincided with me updating my Internet Explorer (advised in windows update). Could that have something to do with it?

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I would doubt it, but it is easy to see, just go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - select Windows Internet Explorer y and Uninstall (you will revert to IE6 then)

12. aimeelou

aimeelou

Thanks Kiwiguy.

Actually, it worked. I don't know how or why - but as soon as I uninstalled IE7 all was well and my keyboard is no longer misbehaving!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/20042