1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard randomly failing and programs/pages failing to open

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by florals, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. florals

florals Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3957 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152999 MB, Free - 15061 MB; D: Total - 151842 MB, Free - 23047 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NSWAA
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Hi. So, the wonderful people here have helped me out before, and I'm hoping they can do the same again!

About two weeks ago, I had an incident where randomly, my laptop started typing gibberish instead of the actual keys I was pressing. For example, on pressing "e" I got something like "ce3d" or something. It did this in my browser, in Skype, in Windows (password entry and search) and in MS Word, so I figured it must be a keyboard error. I'm not exactly the carefullest of people so it didn't seem unreasonable that a crumb or something had gotten in to the keyboard and was disrupting things. I tried various fixes - vacuuming my keyboard, attempting to download new keyboard drivers from Toshiba and running MBAM, but to no avail. Eventually I gave up and went to bed. Lo and behold, come morning, everything was working as normal again, and I carried on life as usual.

Then, yesterday, I randomly got BSODed. I made a backup, because I was pretty convinced it was a warning sign...

Then, this morning, I open my laptop to type in my password and the keyboard is simply not responding. When I press the "Accessibility" button to get up the On-Screen Keyboard this doesn't work either, but when I press "Switch User" it re-loads my account (I have only got one account) and then the "Accessibility" button seems to work and lets me use the On Screen keyboard to enter my password.

When I log on, I try to open Chrome, and it comes up with the "Properties" window. It opens when pressing Right Click + Open, but double clicking brings up Properties. Same with all other desktop shortcuts. I try typing into MS Word and it works, but then I try typing in to Chrome and it also works. Then, it stops again, and upon clicking a link to another page on a website, my laptop tries to download the website instead of opening it and right click stops working too. I am using a trackpad.

I ran an MBAM quick scan which found nothing and I am currently running a full scan.

Now the keyboard seems to have returned to life, but obviously this being its second stint of breaking, I am hoping to figure out if this is just a problem with my keyboard or with my whole computer and what I should look to do to fix it.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try connecting an external Usb keyboard and see if that works properly when the built-in one does not.

3. florals

florals Thread Starter

I will try that when I can get ahold of a USB keyboard.

Some more information, I notice the following things:

1. When I boot up, I can't type my password, but if I press Switch User I can.
    2. When the keyboard stops typing letters it seems to trigger random shortcuts (for example in Skype, letters trigger Contacts, Options, Tools etc to open)
    3. When the keyboard stops typing letters, clicking any webpage link tries to save the .htm page
    4. When I open the On Screen Keyboard the real keyboard starts responding again

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    This is starting to look like Malware to me, have you done any scans ?

5. florals

florals Thread Starter

Full MBAM scan came up with nothing.

I just noticed that in MS Word (2010) as I typed, the keyboard stopped typing letters and in the tabs at the top (Home/Insert/View/Review etc.) suddenly letters actually appeared beside the things that they corresponded to. It's as if I have some setting on that makes every letter on my keyboard a shortcut key? Is there any setting that might mean that if I hit a certain key for long enough or a certain combination of keys in a row, it enables some kind of "shortcut mode"?!

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. florals

florals Thread Starter

Sticky keys is off, yep. This is so odd. I don't even know what to google to find others with a similar issue.

8. florals

florals Thread Starter

I think I've figured it out - the ALT key is randomly holding down (I first noticed that it was lit up on the on screen keyboard and then I used MS Word to test - hold down ALT and the letter-shortcuts are activated.) Now I just figure there's a crumb or something making it do this...

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    At least you know the cause now.

If you're careful you may be able to lever the keytop up with a small flat screwdriver or similar pushed under it from the front.

Some good pics of a typical key mechanism here :- http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop15.htm

You want the keytop to end up like the next to last pic, the 'top-hat' shaped bit in the middle is a plastic 'spring', check it's in the right place and the right way up. The keytop will snap back into place if you press it down.

10. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

No, you need to replace the keyboard. They are cheap. Check out eBay for a replacement. Irisvista.com has instructions on replacing the keyboard. Very easy; just be gentle with the ribbon cable connectors. Follow the instructions, and you'll be fine.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice