1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard right shift "disappears"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by destinknee, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. destinknee

destinknee Thread Starter

Hi all (first post, so I thought I should start with a hi)

When I use windows (Vista) normally, my right shift works fine, but when I used programs like DosBox or pinball games (or any other game for that matter), my right shift seems to stop working (computer doesn't recognize that it has been pressed). I don't see any reason for it to "disappear" like that :confused: .

I don't have another keyboard to test it out, but I don't think it is a hardware issue (I've thought maybe it is Vista's fault... seems to have the blame on everything...). I've tried changing the keyboard's language, but it doesn't change the shift problem.

My computer is a HP (and so is the keyboard), if that helps...
    If someone could figure out what's up, I would be forever grateful, as I have no idea!

-- DK :eek:

PS: I checked the forums with no success in finding a post like this one, but if there is one, sorry, guess I was blind!

PPS: If you need more info, just ask... you probably would anyway...

2. destinknee

I think I should also add that with programs like windows media player or corel draw, etc, the shift works fine (even windows games).

even if you can't find a solution, you can tell me, 'cause then I can assume there is no solution and not waste any more energy trying to figure why on earth it happens.

3. coreyjames66

coreyjames66

4. destinknee

My sticky keys are off. I turned them off a couple of weeks ago, but nothing changed (in regard to the right shift working).
    This is really buggering me... all of my friends that are computer genius' (I call them computer superheroes) also can't figure it out...

5. techeoc

techeoc

try to remove the key and clean it.

6. destinknee

key won't come off... I don't want to try too much as it is a nearly new keyboard...

Don't think that's it, doesn't explain why it works with everything but particular (and always the same) programs.

Another note, just in case it helps.
    right shift works with games that use an emulator (such as Mame) and always works with it. Never worked with Dosbox (now that I think about it, the \ (same as |) button isn't recognized in Dosbox either) , or pinball games (or family feud; a little extra info).

Gosh, it's such a stupid small problem... yet it's driving me insane...

Maybe weird configuration?

7. techeoc

techeoc

if that key doesnt work with particular programmes i.e pinball, i think could be the programme dont assigned any funtions for that key by default.

8. destinknee

That's really inconvenient... especially when the pinball games pre-assigned the flipper keys as
    left flipper - left shift
    right flipper - right shift

and no option to change the keys to something else...

But I still don't understand why it wouldn't work in DosBox. I've never heard anyone complain about that program (in relation to the right shift).
    I just tested out Command Prompt and the right shift works on it (command prompt is similar to dosbox, right? except command prompt is "in" windows - correct me if I'm wrong, I'm here to learn).

Isn't there anyone else with this problem?

9. mightythor40k

mightythor40k

I have the same problem (exept I don`t play pinball). I have some DOSBox games which require the right shift key. Could anybody help us? But the right shift key is not the only problem. I have a german keyboard layout and certain keys do not function, but I don`t think, it has something to do with the german layout - I tried everything with different keyboard layouts.

"Right Shift" and also "ü" and "ä" do not function.
    "+" is "ü" and "#" is "+".

It seems to me, that on this keyboard (I have a notebook) some keys are displaced and some keys do only work via WinVista-managemant.

Greetings - Christoph

10. destinknee

Wow, I'm not the only one with the problem! Feeling better, but still, after all this time I still haven't figured it out.

11. mightythor40k

mightythor40k

Me too! (I still haven`t figured it out!) But I hope, that this problem gets more "popular", when win vista is in common use. Overall ... I don`t like Win Vista. I really liked WinXP - much better than Win98/ME/2000, but Win Vista seems to me to be a regression. But we all are forced to go with the time in a way!

12. pokey23

pokey23

I posted a solution and explaination on vogons.zetafleet.com here:
    http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=18465

You need to eliminate any Japanese keyboard drivers. If you have at least one Japanese keyboard driver, DirectX uses a Japanese keyboard mapping for all the others that causes this program.

Look for any Keyboard devices with "106" or "109" in either the device name or the driver names. These are for Japanese keyboards and they are a problem.

eg:
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\kbd106.dll
    or
    Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard

Especially the MCIR 109, it appears to be a common cause of this.

For the MCIR 109, you need to change the driver to "HID-Compliant device"
    That will get rid of it.

If there is a kbd106.dll in the PS/2 Keyboard driver list, change to "standard PS/2 101/102 Keyboard"

You can try unplugging or disabling offending devices such as IR receivers and other keyboards to troubleshoot. Restart any software or reboot the machine to test.

If you find the MCIR 109 device I would suggest fixing that first.

Change the keyboard driver with Keyboard, Hardware, (pick the keyboard), Properites, Change Settings, Driver, Update Driver, Browse my computer, Let me pick, and possibly uncheck Show compatible hardware.

13. destinknee

pokey, you are amazing! Worked perfectly! Thanks a bundle!

I wish you happiness.

:D

PS: I have no idea how you figured that one out...

14. destinknee

my thread tools does not have the 'Solved' button... The whole site is different since I last was here... do we still do the 'solved' thing?

15. mightythor40k

mightythor40k

After two month I decided to look on this site again and - TATAAA - there is a perfectly working solution!!! Thank You very much, pokey23!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/642722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice