1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Shortcut

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TimCutler, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello.

I use several keyboard shortcuts to start various programs, etc. I have one to access the A: drive - it is Ctrl + Alt + A.

When I try this shortcut now, I get the error message titled, Problem with Shortcut "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'A Drive.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disc is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again".

This happens with any floppy disc I try & yet they allopen fine in My Computer or WIndows Explorer.

Anyone got any ideas to resolve this niggle?

Best wishes to you all.

Tim.

2. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hello

I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid but am curious as to how you created the shortcut. Do you use special software?
    I know the normal shortcuts eg windows key +e for windows explorer etc. How did you create a shorcut for access to your floppy drive? Sounds useful.

If you let me know then perhaps I can try using it and troubleshooting a bit for you.

Regards

Pileyrei

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would assume he put a shortcut on the desktop and then made a short cut key from there.

4. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello,

Yes, LwdSquashman is correct.

I right clicked on the desktop & selected New > Shortcut & entered A: in the blank field & hit Enter & Enter again. I then right clicked on this shortcut, selected Properties > Shortcut Tab & entered the shortcut key combination in the blank field & hit Enter.

You might have to reboot before the shortcut will work.

5. pileyrei

pileyrei

Ah! :D

Silly me, quite obvious how do do it!

Hmmm.

Well, have you tried deleting and recreating the shortcut?
    Typically its working fine for me.

Pileyrei (y)

6. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hi!
    Yes, I have tried deleting & recreating the shortcut. It works for a short while before not working again!

7. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hello again.

I'll keep an eye on my shortcut and see if it stops working.
    What operating system are you using? Windows 2000? Windows XP?

Don't think it matters though.

Next time you get the error message try this.

Close the error message down.
    Right click on the shortcut and select properties.
    Check that target or traget location is still the floppy drive.

Perhaps its blank or lost its setting!
    Not that this is a fix, just an idea. Also, if you use XP or Win2k, are you a local admin on the pc? I doubt that this is the answer but you can always try.

I'll post back if I find any further details.

Do a search on your pc for all .ink files. Delete anyones you don't use. The error message you refer to usually implies a bad link but I take your floppy drive is always connected?

Anyway, best of luck!

Pileyrei

8. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hi!

Thanks for your swift response.

I am using XP Home & I am Administrator. I've tried all you suggested in the past - good advice though, thank you.

Maybe something else will spring to mind that I have missed.

Best wishes.

Tim.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice