1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by allenkc, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

Does anyone have any idea why keyboard shortcuts would stop working in Internet Explorer 6? For some reason I can't use the Control/Enter shortcut when entering an address. Is there something that needs to be turned on or off?
    Thanks for your time

2. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

I'M POSTING THIS QUESTION AGAIN BECAUSE I DIDN'T GET AN ANSWER LAST TIME....SORRY!

Does anyone have any idea why keyboard shortcuts would stop working in Internet Explorer 6? For some reason I can't use the Control/Enter shortcut when entering an address. By the way, all other shortcuts seem to work. Is there something that needs to be turned on or off?
    Thanks for your time

3. Del

Del

Exactly what do you mean by the Control / Enter shortcut??

4. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

If you are entering a URL into the address bar and it is a "wwwdotcom" address, you type the name like google, hold down control and hit enter and IE will automatically put www and com in it for you.
    Sorry I wasn't specific. Any ideas?

5. Del

Del

You don't need Ctrl Enter, just hit enter. Works fine for me.
    Ctrl / Enter, does not work.

6. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

That doesn't work for me. I get sent to the MSN search site if I just type "google" in the address bar. You are suppose to be able to type the word "google" then hold control and hit enter and IE will put the "www" and the "dot com" at the beginning at the end. I have used this for over a year now and for some reason this shortcut has stopped working for me. It is really no big deal but once you use something you kind of want to keep using it.
    Thanks Del

7. Del

Del

OK, try this, Open Search, click customize, then autosearch settings.
    What do you have for When surfing??

8. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

I have set it up to search google and just display results in that window. I changed that setting from MSN to Google since the last post.

9. monted

monted

i use the same shortcut to add the http://www and .com also. It works if you just want to go to a specific site. If you just hit enter it will search. Do you have a keyboard shortcut programmed into your keyboard that would cause that? Besides that i don't know. Maybe un-install ,install the software. Also,as i assume you have checked, does the control key work otherwise?

10. Del

Del

Change it to Just go to the most likely site and try that

11. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

Hey Monted,

The control key does work otherwise. I tried a couple of other shortcuts with it and it seemed to work. I don't think I have programmed the "control-enter" to do something else. I will look to see if I have programmed it to do something else.
    Thanks for your Time

12. mcse72

mcse72

Try going to Internet options under Tools and clicking the advanced tab. Uncheck "Enable Third-Party Browser Extentions" reboot and you should be good to go with the Ctrl+Enter shorcut which I know can be real time saver.

13. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

I don't really want to do that. I have the Google search bar in Internet Explorer and if I disable those third party plug ins then that won't work. Thanks for the advice MCSE. It seems that is the only "keyboard shortcut" that will not work in Internet Explorer. Any other thoughts? Anyone?

14. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

OKAY......I have finally fixed this problem on my own. I was looking in internet options under the content tab. When you click the autocomplete button you will see a choice for address, as long as that is marked, you can use the "control/enter" shortcut to enter the address when it is a "www dot com".

15. Del

Del

Glad you have it back where you want it.
    Have a great one..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!