1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard stopped working after cleaning. HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by orion78, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. orion78

orion78 Thread Starter

Ok so im typing with the on-screen keyboard so excuse my typing as this is low to do.

So i recently spilled soda on my inspiron 1440 and the keys got stickey. it still worked but the keys were really bad. i read the manual and removed the keyboard as shown.

after putting everything back together when i turned on my laptop it started beeping like crazy and only few keys worked while trying to type my password.

i restarted my computer again and had no beeping and now no keys will work?

computer runs fine except for the keyboard.

PLEASE HELP

2. arknorth

arknorth

First of all, HOW did you clean it? If you washed it (yes, you can do this - it's not recommended, but it can be done), you won't have a working keyboard for a few days, as it has to dry COMPLETELY before using.

The best bet, if it was wetted to clean, is to remove it from the laptop, turn it key-side down (or lean it against a wall to allow any moisture to run out) and attack it with a fan - a good trick for this is to sit the keyboard between two chairs and have the fan blow up at it. In the meantime, you can always use an external keyboard with the laptop as a temporary solution (yes it will work without the normal keyboard in there). Cheapie keyboards are available for about $5 at Five BELOW stores (if you have any of those).

A-N

3. orion78

orion78 Thread Starter

removed the battery then disconected the keyboard. After that i flushed the keys with rubbing alcohol solution and blow dried with a hair dryers for 10 mins?

4. arknorth

arknorth

Yea, that does work, but it will take longer than 10 minutes. I'd check the alcohol's water ratio, as some cheaper bottles can have a great deal of water in them. Fan drying is best, but slow. Blow dryers can also be more harm than good, as they can create a hot spot that can warp the membrane that is on the back of the keyboard, which would ruin it.

I still suggest using a fan and take your time - it could take a day or two to do it properly.

A-N

5. orion78

orion78 Thread Starter

I think the hair dryer might have killed it. its been 2 days and the keyboard is not still not responding at all after 24 hours of fan drying

6. Hughv

Hughv

I think you're right about the hairdryer. Some can get hot enough to weaken solder joints.
    Just get a new one, or an external.
    As for washing keyboards, I routinely throw them into the dishwasher, run a full cycle and dry thoroughly. I've done this many times with only one failure on a keyboard that was probably mechanically damaged. Washing electronics with distilled water is a standard practice.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/955902