1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard stopped working after water spill

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cannonball900, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cannonball900

cannonball900 Thread Starter

So I spilled about a half glass of water on my laptop. Its an Alienware 17X. I've been thinking of replacing it since its a bit old and not working so great anymore. However I still need it for a little while longer! It was late and I was just about to go to sleep, and I wasn't really thinking. I've never had this happen to a computer before, since I'm usually quite careful. Here's what I did which I now see is the worst possible thing you could do:

I dried the keyboard as much as I could, but left the laptop on. Then I went to sleep, and actually left the laptop on all night. The following day, I found that multiple keys on the key board weren't functioning, though the rest of the computer seemed to work fine. I shut down the computer but then restarted it. Some of the keys that hadn't worked now seemed to work again, but most the keyboard still wasn't functioning. Also whenever I clicked in a place to type, the j key would just type out an infinite amount without me pressing it. I shut the computer off again but I didn't do anything about it. Today, I tried to restart my laptop again but it went to the reboot options screen, and since the keyboard doesn't work I can't boot up my computer. I finally looked up what to do if you spill water on your keyboard, and I realize how stupid I've been.

It doesn't seem like there would be any water left in the computer by now, but I've shut it off, turned it upside down, and taken the battery out. Is there any chance that I might be able to recover it?

Thanks to anyone who answers!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Chances are the keyboard is done for, but let it dry for a week and see if it changes anything; there's a lot of places water could be still hiding. Attach a USB keyboard or buy a replacement keyboard.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You should be able to get a replacement keyboard if it is that.

4. cannonball900

cannonball900 Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll look into getting a replacement keyboard. However, this keyboard really doesn't look like its easily replaceable... I'll have to ask Alienware support. Thanks again.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It will be. Look underneath for screws with either a K or a little keyboard icon.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1113561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice