1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard stopped working!!! (keys don't work but shortcut buttons do .. HUH!?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Just setting up a new computer. Have a logitech receiver and wireless mouse + keyboard ... batteries in both are good (I checked with voltmeter).

So everything is fine and I'm setting up windows. I go to local security policy to disable the administrator account and then go to rename it, and find out my keys aren't working!! But for some odd reason, the shortcut buttons to calculator and internet explorer work just fine... just none of the keys (numbers or letters) work. cntrl alt del doesn't work.

So I try a keyboard that is from a working computer, and that won't work either. I'm really stumped. The USB ports should be fine as the MOUSE works fine (the wireless mouse and also other mouses work fine). The motherboard is brand new.

The working keyboard I tested doesn't seem to be even getting power on this new computer. Not sure why. I can't even get into the BIOS cause the keyboard doesn't work!

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

bump

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

UPDATE - I CAN get into the BIOS. I think it has something to do with Windows locking my keyboard somehow. I had disabled the administrator account with no other admin account present on the system. I was planning on creating it but then found my keyboard not working!

4. veeramani

veeramani

Hello,

Here is my problem :

While shutting down my system I happen to see my keyboard flickering. I can also see a light red light.

When I switched on second time, I was able to hear 4 short beep. After switching it off, once again I switched on the system. Now 2 short beep + 2 short beep + 3 or 4 short beep was heard.

After that my OS started loading fine. But then, my keyboard is not working. Even the initial green light is not coming up.

As per present condition, my keyboard is not working.

Note: I have connected my keyboard to different systems and confirmed that it is not working.

Can I ave your valuable suggestion, regarding this issue.

5. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Seriously dude, make your own topic!

To the OP - have you tried a PS/2 keyboard and mouse?

6. veeramani

veeramani

Yes Boss,

I have used ps/2 keyboard and mouse.

I have bought a new keybord and it is working fine. But again some smoke came from my PC.

I took it to service centre, the executive said that there is a problem with SMPS and asked me to change the SMPS.
    But even now my old louse is not working, just light is coming from it (optical mouse).

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

sigh veer :\

anyway I traced it down to bad memory timings. I lowered to DDR2 800 and changed some timings and it works great now, no problems yet.

8. veeramani

veeramani

Thanks Sphinx :)

Let me get back with an update when my issue gets completely resolved?

-veera

9. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Lol

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice