1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard stops being recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bxcfilm, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bxcfilm

bxcfilm Thread Starter

About 5 years ago, I bought a Unicomp keyboard, and until recently it's been great. But just lately it's developed a problem. For maybe 1 or 2 hours after switch on, it works fine, but then it suddenly stops being recognized by the PC. If I restart Windows, it still isn't recognized, but if I shut down altogether, wait a while and then restart, it is recognized, but for a shorter time. It varies, but 10 minutes is typical.

Details of my PC are below, but I also tried plugging into my laptop (running XP) and got the same result.

I would appreciate any suggestions; all I can think of so far is that there is an issue with the small PCB in it. See the photo. I know the standard advice with faulty keyboards is "Get another one", but other keyboards are not nearly as good to use, and the source of supply and repair is 4,000 miles away.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3062 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - XDDM), 3 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 941562 MB, Free - 814593 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0T4649
    Antivirus: 360 Total Security, Updated and Enabled

Attached Files:

2. Blu_86

Blu_86

Get another one. No seriously, what model keyboard is it? You would be surprised at how good some of the new keyboards are, especially the ones with Cherry switches etc. They are mostly advertised as gaming keyboards but they are actually a throwback to the older clickity-clack sturdy keyboards which looks like you have one there. That keyboards you have there looks like about a 2000 model NCR/IBM?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice