1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved keyboard stops working on laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mike ma, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike ma

mike ma Thread Starter

ASUS K95VB laptop, Windows 8.1
    Occasionally, often after waking from sleep or hibernate modes, but not always, the keyboard stops working. The mouse (USB Logitech) works fine. Programs open are Firefox, Thunderbird and Jarte Notepad, and when I try to write something in them, they go into "Not responding" mode.
    However, when I go to other Windows functions, like Run or Search, there the keyboard works just fine.
    After restarting the computer everything works again.
    Have checked for malware, virus, etc. - nothing obviously wrong.
    Any ideas?

2. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

3. mike ma

mike ma Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks. Done that already, all is up-to-date, no new(er) drivers or BIOS updates available ....

4. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

if you have a wired keyboard or wireless one, connect them and see if you works when you use a browser.

5. mike ma

mike ma Thread Starter

Sorry, have no external keyboard I could use. But since the keyboard actually works in the Windows environment (even when it's stopped in programs) would it not seem to be software related? Is there anything in Mozilla and/or Windows settings specific to Sleep and/or Hibernate modes that could be checked?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

7. mike ma

mike ma Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes, I suspected as much, that's probably it (of course now that I've started this thread it hasn't happened since ...)

8. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

Are you using a different browser to do this thread?

9. mike ma

mike ma Thread Starter

no, always still Firefox (v.35.0) - because I wanted to see if it was the culprit. I changed to Sleep mode only, and only let Firefox stay loaded when I put it to sleep. But, like I said, the problem hasn't occurred since ... (beats me - it's sort of like the toohtache that goes away as soon as you get to the dentist ...)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!