1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard stops working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noobd, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noobd

noobd Thread Starter

Recently, when I'm in a game (Call of Duty, Starcraft, etc) my keyboard just goes out. First, it happened with Call of Duty. About 2-3 mins into the game, it just stops working. I deleted my configuration for the game and then it worked, so I thought I fixed it. But then 10 mins ago in Starcraft, it did the same thing..

Specs 'n Stuff: The keyboard lights stay on, its default dell keyboards, non-usb, when this was happening I plugged in a different keyboard and it's still doing it with both - making me think its computer related.

My mouse is fine in game, so I can only control certain aspects of the game. Additionally, I can't use the keyboard in-game or out of game. But the problems starts when I'm in games.

Update: Ok, I had my computer on standby because I wanted to watch TV. I come back and the keyboard was working. I go in game, and immediately it stops working (Starcraft). I'm able to get out of game in SC, so I go to try it in Call of Duty and it doesn't work. There's no way to get out of game so I have to shutdown my computer with the power button. Once I do that, my computer boots without a display on the monitor. I remember this happening before when I shutdown my computer this way.. so I really have no idea what is wrong..

Update2:I let my computer sit, and it booted up fine on first try. But the keyboard isnt working on the desktop either now.. Device Manager says there's a keyboard there, but my light isn't even on now..

2. noobd

noobd Thread Starter

No replies...?

I find that on my desktop when my keyboard goes out, my computer lets out a beep.

After this happens and I reboot I either 1) dont get a display on my monitor or 2) it says some kind of file is missing, but when I reboot with my windows xp disc it goes straight to desktop...

3. Ben_neB

Ben_neB

The missing file error makes me think that your install of Windows might be screwed up. I know I sound like a standard Tech Support flunky, but that's all I can think of.

4. noobd

noobd Thread Starter

I can't even post now... I get no display at all so I can't even get to a point to reinstall windows...

5. draclan12

draclan12

If you have access to it, try a different monitor and keyboard and check if it works.

Then you can see if it's the monitor/keyboard's fault or the computer's....

6. noobd

noobd Thread Starter

The monitor works fine with my other computers. and I can't test the keyboard if I cant get the computer to post. But when it was posting, it didn't matter what keyboard I used.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/741611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice