1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard strokes for fractions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by laurfar, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Hi, does anyone know how to make fractions using "alt" and then a series of numbers?
    I really need some help with this, and none of my searches on google are coming up with any help. I know how to make ½, but need the rest. Any help out there? Thanks

2. strictor

strictor

Can you give an example of what you are trying to accomplish?

3. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Yes,
    I know that by pressing Alt>0189 I get ½ symbol. How do I get thirds, like 1/3 without pressing the number 1, then /, then 3 as I just had to do. Is there a combination of keyboard button and numbers that make 1/3, 2/3, 1/8, 1/16 ect?

4. strictor

strictor

Ok, now I know what you want:

¹ = 0185
    ² Alt+0178
    ³ Alt+0179
    ¼ =0188
    ½ = 0189
    ¾ Alt+0190

I don't see any others, like 1/8.

5. sliderule

sliderule

Laurfar, if you'll do a "Google" for ASCII you'll get many hits for charts and tables with the code for creating most anything. And don't forget that in M$ Word you can go to Insert-Symbol and find a host of special characters, including 1/3, etc.

6. strictor

strictor

Sliderule did not find it appropriate to give you some links for a head start, not all of us are Google masters. Do a search for "alt-key" and you will get many hits. Do not Google "ASCII" as you will get many hits that do not apply. With Google if you are specific you will reach your target if you are not (like googling ASCII) you will go through pages and pages of info that is not helpful. Good luck:

http://www.bbsinc.com/iso8859.html

http://www.coloryourprofyle.com/phade/alt.html

http://www.britfeld.com/aboutme/alt.htm

http://www.frontpagewizard.com/use_alt_keys.asp

Hope this helps.

7. sliderule

sliderule

Strictor, prior to entering my comments of March 12, I noticed that Laurfar was a senior member, so I opted for brevity. To quote Horace: Whatever advice you give, be brief. Furthermore, a Google for ASCII yields 1.49 million hits whereas a Google for Alt-Key yields 1.6 million. Methinks your criticism of me was a tad picayune. But, hey, I'm cool; and hope you are.

8. strictor

strictor

I am cool. I personally just thought the hits to be more relevant with alt-key. No harm intended. Probaly could close this post as solved. Have a good day.

9. Cyps

Cyps

10. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great info. I really appreciate the replies. I never did find anything that uses the alt symbols to create the fractions like 1/3, 2/3, 1/16, 1/8. But I have gotten a good start from all of you to keep searching. I haven't had a chance to try out the very simple solution of using the utilities in MS Word, and that will probably be my answer, since I haven't checked it out yet. It does say "Senior Member" next to my name, but I think it's just because I have been asking questions for so long. Thanks everyone.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The symbols for 1/8 and the like don't exist, that's probably you can't find them. :) You can do them in something like Word with the Equation Editor.

12. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Well, there you have it. Thanks for your reply.

13. RED CLOUD

RED CLOUD

Dear laurfar,

Referring to sliderule's post number 5 regarding using "Symbol", you might be interested in my post in the Business Section Applications dated 22nd March headed "Word Fractions", by golferguy at the moment on page four.

I am using word 2000 and several fractions are available, quite a few in the "MS Reference 2" on the drop down menu in the Font Box.

Best Wishes,

Red Cloud

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can find custom TT fonts with a variety of fractional symbols available, it's just dependent on what application is producing the document in question. :)

15. MNG0304

MNG0304

Here's yet another way to do this:
    Full article

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/449278